Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 6:46:31 AM EDT
I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and thought it would be interesting to bring back an 1886 Lebel. I know people who have mailed the same type weapon home through the proper legal channels. The only problem is commands change and the new group does not have the same grasp on what is authorized and what is not, they go by pictures and brief descriptions on a piece of paper. No offense to the customs people they are new but their classification for import does not seem well placed, they told me anything with a rifled barrel is too new to import, even though Mauser 1888 and pre 1898 Mosin Nagants are considered acceptable. I know the Lebel fits the description of Antique under ATF ruling but can anyone quote me the regulation/paragraph/section/subsection/etc? The caliber seems to be the major hold up as the new customs officials seem to think 8x50R Lebel is a modern cartridge. Does the ATF consider the Lebel cartridge an obsolete round? If it does I will not have any problem. If someone could reference the proper ruling for me and email me it would be much appreciated. I have limited access to computers and am having difficulties finding the time to look it up online. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] I check it on and off. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and thought it would be interesting to bring back an 1886 Lebel. I know people who have mailed the same type weapon home through the proper legal channels. The only problem is commands change and the new group does not have the same grasp on what is authorized and what is not, they go by pictures and brief descriptions on a piece of paper. No offense to the customs people they are new but their classification for import does not seem well placed, they told me anything with a rifled barrel is too new to import, even though Mauser 1888 and pre 1898 Mosin Nagants are considered acceptable. I know the Lebel fits the description of Antique under ATF ruling but can anyone quote me the regulation/paragraph/section/subsection/etc? The caliber seems to be the major hold up as the new customs officials seem to think 8x50R Lebel is a modern cartridge. Does the ATF consider the Lebel cartridge an obsolete round? If it does I will not have any problem. If someone could reference the proper ruling for me and email me it would be much appreciated. I have limited access to computers and am having difficulties finding the time to look it up online. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] I check it on and off. Thanks

Title 18, United States Code:

§ 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter --

(16) The term "antique firearm" means --

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock,

percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or

before 1898;
and

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such

replica --

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional

centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is

no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily

available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Because your rifle is an original, not an antique, subsection (A) applies.  The kind of ammunition it uses is irrelevant because subsection (B), which includes the "modern ammunition" language in (B)(ii), only applies to replicas.

ETA: This is from the Gun Control Act of 1968.  The full text of the Act is available at www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top