Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 5:30:22 PM EDT
I read in another forum that modifying an AR-10 to take an AR-15 DIAS (or modifying the DIAS perhaps, don't recall) would be considered manufacturing a post-'86 MG because the DIAS wasn't designed for the AR-10.  What if the DIAS goes in an AR-15 lower per-specs, but is mated to an upper built/assembled to fire 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel, etc.?  Is it just the lower's physical specs that count, or some combination of upper/lower, or some nomenclature BS, or something else according to the local BATFE expertise on tap?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that since the RDIAS is the reg. part,
you shouldn't have a problem.

Notice I said 'shouldn't'.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Might be a case for contacting ATF-I would think it's only "manufacturing a post '86" if you modify the RDIAS as it's the part considered a machine gun,and can be moved from "host rifle to host rifle" , but don't take that as advice, people have been arrested for much simpler things firearm related.  One thing to keep in mind before modifying your rifle to make it fit, though, is whether FA carriers are available for the AR10. If M16 carriers will fit it's not an issue, but if they won't I have never seen a FA carrier to fit the AR10.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I should clarify, I only mentioned the AR10 as a potentially comparable reference point since it was mentioned as illegal to put an AR-15 DIAS in one.  My interest (someday) would be in an AR-15 spec lower receiver mated to what I assume would be an inherently mechanically compatible AR-15 upper which was barreled and bolted to fire 6.5 Grendel, say, a future Patriot Ordinance Factory development if I'm lucky.  Basically, if everything fits together as normal and functions 'cause the parts besides the bolt and barrel and mag are an iteration of the AR-15, but just in a different cartridge, is that suddenly a New MG to the ATF?  hanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top