Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
I am selling a rifle to someone out of state.  He is having trouble lining up an FFL to do the transfer.  He has a good friend that lives near me and wants to know if I can sell the rifle to his friend and he will buy it from his friend at a later date.  Is this legal?

Thanks,
Bradd
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds fishy. I would suggest he pay you for the rifle and you hold the gun for him till he finds an FFL. Or can pick it up in person. It is legal at the federal level to sell long guns across state lines as long as you are not breaking any tighter state laws in either state.

Also you can goto to either gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and they have a listing of transfering dealers by state.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't sell it to him face-to-face either.  A sale to a resident of another state must go through a dealer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The most important piece you didn't state here is why the guys is having problems in getting a FFL. It sounds too much like a straw purchase. I agree with it being fishy and WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU FIND ANOTHER BUYER.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I do appreciate the help, guys.  The buyer says that the 2 dealers that he deals with are giving him flak about not buying from them and that he's making a mistake buying a rifle sight unseen.  He has a friend that lives in my state and wants me to sell the rifle to this friend.  He will then buy the rifle from his friend later.  I was under the impression that a straw purchase means you sell to an individual who is buying the firearm for someone who can't legally own a firearm.  It seems that if I sell the rifle to his friend, it's up to his friend to go through the FFL when he sells the rifle.  Once again, thanks for all the replies.

Bradd
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Bradd, I think the straw purchase question on the 4473 is simply meant to stop someone from buying a gun solely to transfer it to someone else disqualified from owning it. If it were me I would have the in state guy pay me for it directly and let him worry about his out-of-state friend.

Has this out-of-state guy looked on the net for a FFL? Have him try looking here: [url]http://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi[/url]and here [url]http://www.gunxchange.com/search_ffl.cfm?ref=menu[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top