Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 8:32:33 AM EDT
As a follow-up to LAgunman2K's post "CA assualt weapons and BLM land (revisited)"...

Great news for California residents who shoot on BLM land!

I talked with Mr. Barry Nelson today, the Chief Law Enforcement Ranger for the BLM in the Barstow area. I called him about a discrepancy on a BLM web page dealing with target shooting on public lands. Here is the bottom line - soon the CA BLM will implement a policy which reverses the old decision barring the possession and use of ‘assault weapons’ on public lands!!! [b]The policy is not officially in effect yet[/b], but Ranger Nelson is already implementing this in his district (the Barstow area). I gathered that it would probably go into effect within a couple of months.

Ranger Nelson seemed to be a really good guy and it was a pleasure to talk with him. He indicated that the Ranger for my district was one of the individuals who was instrumental in getting this new policy into effect. I’m ready to jump out of my  freakin’ skin I’m so jazzed! Mr. MAK and Mr. Armalite have not been fired in 2 YEARS! I expressed this to Ranger Nelson and he said, “I’ve got my Bushmaster right here in my back seat - you should have called me!” A really cool guy - life NRA member, etc.

Obviously in order to use your ‘assault weapons’ on public lands they have to be legal. And for the love of all things holy, please do not leave a  f*cking mess when you shoot on public lands! [b]THIS WILL BE OUR DOWNFALL IF WE DON’T CHANGE OUR WAY.[/b] As simple as it sounds, please don’t shoot plants, trees, SIGNS, endangered species, etc. Ranger Nelson said that each district still has the power to interpret and enforce this policy in their own way, so please check with your local BLM office before you rush out and make the barrel on your AR so hot it will burn wood.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding SaltCreek!!! I'd say you personally deserve full credit for bringing this change about. No telling if it would have happened without your phone calls or not. And your points on shooting responsibly are right on. See you out in the desert someday. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Down here in sunny SoCal there's the Tremblor Range SW of Taft.

Still quite a drive.

What other BLM areas are there further north?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks USNvet. I’d like to think I had something to do with it, but I think a lot of people were pissed about the old policy. I don’t know the full reason for the change, but the BLM indicated that it was not in the public’s best interest to keep the ban on the books. I just hope the new policy will stay in effect for a long time!

punkatomic - I’m not familiar with the Taft area. There are massive areas to shoot along the Bradshaw Trail and the Navy’s Chocolate Mountains Gunnery Range. Controlled ranges blow; out here it’s open desert farther than you can see. It’s a long drive for me, but I make each trip into an over-nighter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I m glad you spoke to him.I did about a year ago and he did give me the ok.When i spoke with him he was very cool and said that if you can LEGALLY own the weopon that you should be able to shoot it where ever you are allowed to shoot any other rifle except shot gun only area as long as you had the registration.Glad you called.i replied on the other post about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top