Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2001 4:05:54 PM EDT
Has the state of Cali ever been taken to court over their ban? I know that the city of Columbus here in OH has twice baned the evil assult rifle and both times when taken to court they were beaten.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the California Rifle and Pistol Association, along with the NRA have taken the matter to court where it stands now. There have been earlier tries, but I haven't kept up on them. The key is probably Emerson, or a similar case being accepted by SCOTUS, and coming out in our favor, which should reverse a lot of these dumb laws. Last I heard Emerson is to be appealed. SAF is raising funds now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey- USNvet- aren't you the guy who thinks all of the people living on the coast of California are liberals who should be nuked by Bush's buddy Osama? Since we're generalising I guess I can assume that since you were in the Navy you must be gay. Actually, the liberal-fascists who run California model their "War on Guns" on the CONSERVATIVE inspired "War on Drugs" where unconstitutional methods were tolerated by the "Silent Majority" because they didn't like hippies. The Yuppie-fascists in California don't like guns so they are doing what you vaunted conservatives did in the Seventies and staring a "Zero-tolerance" war against them. Guns, drugs- anytime the government can decide what you can or cannot possess in your own home you are in trouble.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I might be wrong but I think that Cincinnati and Clevland both have laws against the evil rifles and from what I understand the Columbus law was modled after the Clevland law.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Various cities in Ohio have all kinds of statutes against guns. How can this be if there is pre-emption.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
It's going pretty much nowhere until the US Supreme Court (That's "SCOTUS" for those who just have to use an acronym to sound knowledgeable or because you are conserving typing energy [;)]) decides US v. Emerson.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I know if you buy a pistol in Columbus you have to go through all the loops to get a permit to buy one. Most gun stores around Columbus are  just outside the city limits so the permit doesnt apply to them. You dont need a permit to own a pistol in Columbus, just to buy one.

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
If CRPA and/or the NRA gone to court, please point out the case name. I don't know of any with the exception of the SKS buyback. Both have been largely silent from what I can tell. Perhaps "Hutton vs. Kings County"? Did they contribute to Hutton's Defense?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
It's the Cali-ban!

Governor Grey Davis is the leader of the Caliban, and the State Legislature is made up of mostly Liberal Fundamentalists.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#11]
They think they're practicing Liberal Fundamentalism, but their brand is a bastadardization of the faith of Jefferson.  The illiterate and uneducated masses of Californistan have been tricked into accepting the Caliban's Extreme PC Liberalism as True Liberalism.

Like the Taliban, the Caliban was duly elected by the masses.

If it wasn't so close to paralleling the Afghanistan situation it would be pretty funny.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey- USNvet- aren't you the guy who thinks all of the people living on the coast of California are liberals who should be nuked by Bush's buddy Osama? Since we're generalising I guess I can assume that since you were in the Navy you must be gay. Actually, the liberal-fascists who run California model their "War on Guns" on the CONSERVATIVE inspired "War on Drugs" where unconstitutional methods were tolerated by the "Silent Majority" because they didn't like hippies. The Yuppie-fascists in California don't like guns so they are doing what you vaunted conservatives did in the Seventies and staring a "Zero-tolerance" war against them. Guns, drugs- anytime the government can decide what you can or cannot possess in your own home you are in trouble.
View Quote

Looks like the F.N.G. is trying to make friends! You are making the f*&ked up assumption that someone who served thier country is gay. What branch did you serve and what was your legnth of service?
You sound upset that people don't want illegal drugs and the societal problems they cause. It's funny, those who are the most vocal about the medical use of pot for example, are those who aren't sick.
In case you haven't been told, drugs and firearms don't mix.
BTW: Do you like anybody. or are you just pissed at the world? [:K]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If CRPA and/or the NRA gone to court, please point out the case name. I don't know of any with the exception of the SKS buyback. Both have been largely silent from what I can tell. Perhaps "Hutton vs. Kings County"? Did they contribute to Hutton's Defense?
View Quote

NRA/CRPA v. Lockyer. Challenging the constitutionality of SB23 (1999 amendment to the 1989 AW ban). Filed 9/13/01 in Fresno Superior Court.

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Searching doesn't return anything on the lawsuit you mention. I can't even find reference to it on CRPA's website. Do you have a court docket number?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't find any such case listed on the NRA's website either. Harrott vs County of Kings is listed there. These was a great win for gun rights adovates as this reverses a key part of the '89 AW ban. Nobody seems to talk about it here. However, you can buy a fulton-armory lower here in CA now but you can't build it into an AW as defined by SB23.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Searching doesn't return anything on the lawsuit you mention. I can't even find reference to it on CRPA's website. Do you have a court docket number?
View Quote

All I have is the info from page 6 of the November,2001 issue of the Firing Line (CRPA newsletter).
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's some more info that I received in an email. I posted the whole thing in another thread here in Legal.

MEDIA RELEASE
RELEASE DATE:  November 8, 2001

MENDOCINO DISTRICT ATTORNEY
JOINS FRESNO  DA LAWSUIT CHALLENGING
INDECIPHERABLE "ASSAULT WEAPON" LAW
UNPRECEDENTED PROSECUTORS' LAWSUIT
CITES CONFUSION OVER LAW'S REQUIREMENTS
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Why unclejoe, thanks for all your kind comments. And happy Veterans Day to you too! My comment was directed at stator's post about Osama's jerks setting off a nuke in PRK, and the only group it should be offensive to is the antigun liberal crowd. I suppose you consider yourself to be a Libertarian. Take the test to see where you really stand: [url]http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html[/url] Yes, I'm conservative but with libertarian leanings, but had nothing to do with the antidrug movement in the 70's. I just may have eaten a few brownies myself.

And you brought up the Navy "gay" thing. Just to prove your belief's, I suggest you head down to my old digs in San Diego. Drive across the bridge to the amphib base on Coronado Island and go through the main gate. Proceed straight down the road till you get to the last building on the right. I think it says "SpecWar" or something like that over the entrance. Go on in and kick some gay butt, then head back out the main gate, go across the highway and through the gate there. Walk over to the beach and start yelling HooYaa this fags, and you'll attract plenty more gays to pound on. Be sure to report back when you've got em all cleared out. Oh wait, I almost forgot; many of them are out of the country right now so you may have to wait till they return.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top