Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2001 8:45:52 PM EDT
I got this months Shotgun News today and on page54 I see something I like[:D]

It is a "AR-15 compensator" made by DASinc.

Now it's a comp so I can use it on a post-ban......right?

I can't show you a pic but the part# isF-AR-BK if any of you have a way to look it up,I don't know if they have a web site.

Somebody help me out,can I use this thing or not(pisss say yes[:)])

PS: I ask due to the look of this thing,I gess you have to see but it dose not look like any comp I have seen.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What nobody can help out with this?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, but the part pictured here::
[url]http://www.dsarms.com/ar15_16parts.htm[/url]

appears to be and is a "flash suppressor", NO NO on a post-ban.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
[img]www.dsarms.com/images/arcomp.jpg[/img]
part number #F-AR-BK $22.95

If this is the part...then NO you can't use it on a post ban.  This is a phantom Flash Hider.  Very cool....but not on a post ban. (stupid gun laws!)

medcop
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Your right it's look like a flash hider but the dang ad says "AR-15 compensator"

I was thinging (or hoped) it was a look-alike.

[>Q]THATS NOT RIGHT!
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok guys I sent an e-mail to DAS maybe, just maybe I'll be lucky and it is some type comp or brake and not what it looks like.

The thing would look cool even if I would still have a bag ass ball of fire fly out of my muzzel every time I shoot[:(]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Just because something is a brake or compensator, doesn't make it also not a flash suppressor...  

The A2 style 'half birdcage' flash suppressor is also a compensator.

The Vortex and Phantom flash suppressors are neither brakes nor compensators - just flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I know,but thats what I don't get.
It says that it's a comp.

Maybe it's only open at the top or something?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
And maybe the folks who wrote the ad or descriptions don't know (or don't care).  I see ads with "muzzle break" for muzzle brake... don't trust ads to be correct on technical details.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Well if not this thing them what are some other good looking comps?

I want something to top off my barrel but don't want a y-comp or something else that you see every day.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
a2, if you do get mail back saying it's BATF approved, let me know.  I hate my AK brake. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
A2 kurts Kustom firearms has the Tac break it looks like the flash supressor but is a muzzle break
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#14]
This appears to be the Panther Flash Suppressor (#BL-YH) from DPMS (www.dpmsinc.com), or at least real close.

http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=90&CATID=494&ObjectGroup_ID=1358&OBS=10&Move=Next&Pcount=29&CurrentPage=1
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, while on the subject of muzzle devices... what exactly is the criteria ATF uses to determine if a muzzle device is a flash suppressor, a muzzle brake, or a compensator.  For example, if an A2 type device, which has the lower slot closed, is put on a post ban firearm, is this considered a flash suppressor or a compensator?

If a threaded barrel is used, what is acceptable to permanently attach the muzzle device to get around this feature... must it be welded, or can pinning or some other method be used?

What are the rulings on this type of thing, and where can I find them?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK, while on the subject of muzzle devices... what exactly is the criteria ATF uses to determine if a muzzle device is a flash suppressor, a muzzle brake, or a compensator.  For example, if an A2 type device, which has the lower slot closed, is put on a post ban firearm, is this considered a flash suppressor or a compensator?

If a threaded barrel is used, what is acceptable to permanently attach the muzzle device to get around this feature... must it be welded, or can pinning or some other method be used?

What are the rulings on this type of thing, and where can I find them?
View Quote

Good frig'en point! just what the heck makes a brake a brake and a hider a hider?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]
A flash suppressor is any muzzle device which 'measurably' reduces flash over the same projectile from a bare barrel.  Presumably this is measured empirically with a light meter.

ATF could care less what other functions (brake or compensator) the muzzle device serves, and doesn't classify those.  ATF just cares and classifies based on flash suppression.

ATF also considers any muzzle device with the standard NATO 22mm diameter to be a grenade launcher, since there are slip-over rifle grenades made for that diameter muzzle brake.  For this reason, post-ban legal muzzle devices are made larger or smaller (>=24mm or <=20mm) than the NATO standard 22mm in order to avoid incidental classification as a grenade launcher (which is another forbidden feature on a postban).

If a post-ban legal muzzle device is attached to a threaded barrel, the permanent attachment methods I have seen accepted by the ATF are:
1) blind pin and weld the pin
2) four or more equidistant spot welds
3) seam weld over at least half the circumference of the brake
4) high temp (1100F) silver solder in the threads.

Go check out bardwell's collection of ATF legal letters - I believe there's a link here in the legal forum.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok,I think I like this one....

[/img]http://www.del-ton.com/brakes_img/dpms_vandenberg.jpg[/img]

How will it affect accuracy?

don't know why the damn link did not work! [ / img ] then the url then [ / img ] again.....right?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The adress you give is a "URL". Replace "img" with "URL".  put URL in first box, then  /url in the second box.  "Img" is to show pic from a photo place/album.

[url]www.del-ton.com/brakes_img/dpms_vandenberg.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok,thank you!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok this is the e-mail I got back from DSA.

"Dear Sir,
Thank you, these are pre ban legal. And I don't have anyone who know if it
will wit.
DSA
Mel"

I gess it was a typo or something,I don't reallt get all of what he is trying to say here but I can see I will not be able to use this thing.

To hell with,I'll just buy a Ycomp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top