Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2001 6:11:51 AM EDT
This may be common knowlege, but since it's my butt on the line I'm gonna ask anyways. I'm kinda new to the world of AR-15s. I just got a brand new Bushmaster 16" A2. I would like to put a telescopic stock on it. I have heard two stories.

1- Local PD says: Yes you can if you don't have a bayonet lug and it stays over a total legnth of 26" end to end with stock collapsed.

2- FEDs say: No you can't. You're rifle is post ban.

What's the real story here and what are my options if any? I see a lot of picures of ARs here with the telescopic stock. Some seem to be post ban. Can someone clarify this for me?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]2- FEDs say: No you can't. You're rifle is post ban.[/b] Unless you want to remove the pistol grip or permanently fix your magazine in place. The Assault Weapons ban is definitely one of the most ridiculous gun laws ever devised.

There are non-functioning collapsable stocks available that have the stock permanently pinned in one position to give your rifle that look if thats what your after.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
State laws on overall length may differ from federal.  I don't know about IL, but in CA the minimum OAL is 30" measured with the stock COLLAPSED.  I have a pre-ban Mini-14 that just barely makes it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 1:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advise guys.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't matter how long the rifle is, if you put that collapsible stock on it you are instantly illegal.

The pinned, collapsible-look stock is your only option on a post-ban rifle (with pistol grip/removable mag/blah/blah/blah).[whacko]

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The key here is there is a list of what the Feds consider "evil characteristics." I don't want to list them all, (They can be found in the articles section of this site.) but you are only allowed 2 of these characteristics on a semi-auto rifle. Most AR15's have a pistol grip and a detachable magazine so you can not also have your collapsible stock. Other state and local laws may apply in your area but most local cops will give you a line of BS if they don't know the real laws. They have to act like they know everything, its who they are.    
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
but you are only allowed 2 of these characteristics on a semi-auto rifle. Most AR15's have a pistol grip and a detachable magazine
View Quote

Actually, no - it's the detachable mag and ONE feature.

No detachable mag means no assault weapon, even if it's got a bayo lug, flash hider, telestock, grenade launcher and pictures of dead babies plastered on the handgrips.

Detachable mag, and it gets the pistol grip OR the bayo lug OR the flash hider/threads OR the telestock OR the grenade launcher.  Most AR-15 types have a detachable magazine, and get the pistol grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top