Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 11:37:18 PM EDT
I was just wondering the legal facts on sound suppressors for civilians.  I'v heard that one can get a permit to own a suppressor...Just wondering if that is true and how I would go about doing so.
Thanks for any help

Mike =O)
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local Modern Arms selling gun shop and talk to the owner. Depending on your state allowing the sale of Suppressors you have to pay the same tax you would on an NFA weapon. It's $200 for the tax stamp. You then will wait about 3 to 4 months for all the paperwork to go through. I'm looking into my options now on buying a 10/22 with integrated sound suppressor. Take care,

John
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#2]
In addition to the tax stamp, you also have to submit fingerprints, etc. to have it all cleared, much like getting a CCW permit
(I've looked into this myself, but here in WA, I have to go to the local PD chief and get his/her permission first [:(!], [8]). In addition, you must go through the process every time you buy another can. But there is another way: setting up a corporation and buying the cans through it. This sidesteps the fingerprinting & "may I - puleeeeeezzzzze?!" hassles, and is perfectly legal.

However, it costs roughly $500.00 just to take care of the legal processing to set up the corp. Thereafter, you'll have to file regular financial reports w/the city/county where you're conducting your "business" in.

[heavy][USA]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry Buddy you would have to be a licensed machine gun dealer to possess a silencer in KS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top