Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 8:04:40 PM EDT
I have been trying to figure this one out for a while and I know 10 or less foreign parts exempts a gun. But since the ATF decides what's sporting, what can a foreign gun have if it has more than 10 parts ?

I have heard a Thumbhole Stock is considered sporting. Is this true ? If so I could just slap a thumbhole on an AK-47 to make it 89 Ban Legal ?

If somebody has a list, I'd like to know what is considered Sporting and Non-Sporting. I have been trying to find a list for a while.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not arguing symantecs here. AK-47, MAK-90, SAR-1/2, RPK. They are all AK-47 Clones.

What I am talking about is a Romanian RPK Parts Kit.

[url]http://www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=INTERORDNANCE.com&Product_Code=RPKKIT&Category_Code=Parts+Kits[/url]

I have seen these kits relatively cheap, but replacing the parts necessary to bring them under 10 parts would cost as much as buying a MAK-90 in the store. I was asking if it is considered sporting if you assemble a Romanian AK Parts Kit on a Semi-Auto. US Made Receiver with No Sear Hole and use a Thumbhole Stock rather than the standard Buttstock and Pistol Grip.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the problem with that.  The previous administration added an exec. order to the import laws in 1996, prohibitiong the import of a thumbhole rifle(or any other coplete rifle) that accepted pre-ban hicap mags.  By assebling a rifle using a hi-cap US receiver, and more than 10 imported parts (from the 89 list) you will create a rifle that would be un-importable, so in violation of the stupid law.
-Remember-   If you make an "imported" rifle that is in a config that would not be importable, it's in violation of the law.

So just look aroud, prowl the AK boards for some info on where to get quality parts at a resonable price, and make a US rifle out of it.

Edited to add "US hi-cap reciever"
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I didn't realize CLinton snuck that one in there. That sucks. That must be why the prices of Thumbholes are going up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just wish that someone could organize well enough to get some of the 'silly' laws off of the books.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top