Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 10:04:28 PM EDT
I plan on spending some time in Hillsborough county, outside of city limits in North Tampa in a house that sits on about an acre, corner lot. there is about an acre or two of heavy woods on either side of the corner, behind the house, but houses all around and on the other side of the woods.

I have shoot 22's there before, once even having the police coming out(years ago), but since it is the county property they just advised against it and left. Am i still safe? What about a 30 rd ammo dump in .223 through my new RR M16? i don't really care what the neighbors think just don't want to get in trouble? Time for a silencer?

Sorry to be long winded.. thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to a range to shoot.  It is irresponsible to shoot on the property you described, assuming there are neighbors.  

You cannot legally attach a sound suppressor to a postban rifle.  It would be considered a flash suppressor, too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
For the M16, it can have a silencer, of course (which is what I presume thee meant by "RR M16").

If it's legal for you to shoot on your property, then take reasonable precautions and go ahead.  A silencer will help avoid issues with the neighbors, but as long as you're safe and responsible, they've no right to stop you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops!  I must have misread that one.  Suppressors are indeed legal on machineguns.  

Reasonable precautions would include ensuring that none of your rounds reach the woods, assuming they are not on your property, and ensuring that there are no people in the woods downrange.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I meant registered receiver M16
and my 10/22 is "pre-ban" also
I meant my house and property are in the county.. Ie not city limits so you can discharge a firearm. one part of the woods belong to my family but the swamp wetlands I have no idea who owns them.

But can I get cited for noise violation? M16 is very loud.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You might indeed get a noise citation if there's a noise ordnance in the county.  So use the silencer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top