Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2001 4:27:30 AM EDT
Got a question that I hope someone can help me out.  Spoke with the state police and the county sherrif, got conflicting answers.

My question is whether it is legal in the state of Ohio to be able to transport magazines that are loaded.   These mags are seperately stored from the weapon, in the trunk of my car (ie weapon is in case, mags are in locked ammo case).  I believe that this would satisfy the "easy access" that I have heard about.

However, one of my friends stated that it was a big no-no to have loaded mags in a car, and that the ammunition must be stored seperately.  Any way I can find out what the definitive answer is?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Working as a LEO in Ohio, I think I can shed some darkness on this topic...  It will all depend on the county prosecutor and the disposition of the LEO that you run across...

When I'm trying to bust someone, the statues seem to say that a loaded mag anywhere near a weapon is a loaded weapon.  

Carrying the mags in seperate locked cases would satisify me.  Storing your mags seperatly from the weapon is the way to go... I would say your doing it the right way, but you'd be better off having unloaded mags stored seperately.  My .02cents.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the statues for carrying weapons and ammo within a truck in Ohio?  When traveling, I keep guns locked up in their own cases, but I don't have the ammo locked up (the container it's in doesn't lock).  I remember someone telling me that the ammo needed to be in a seperate compartment (trunk) than where the guns are stored.  If that's true then are carrying weapons in cars handled differently than trucks?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
My pistol stuff that I shoot IPSC, I carry all in the same box, in the trunk. The officers I shoot with do the same thing. As long as there is some time required to assemble the ammo and firearm, you are well beyond the time allotment of "readily accessable". There was a case in Dyaton not too long ago, involved a fella that had a pistol in a large duffel bag. He got off a bus at the terminal downtown, and Dayton arrested him on CCW violation. Turns out the judge threw the case out or dismissed it because it would take TOO long for him to get at the pistol (readily acessable, not CCw on his person).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top