Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 12:34:38 PM EDT
I've looked through the ATF's published laws for Delaware, I found the part that limits handgun sales to people over 21, but i cant find anything that sets a minimum age to purchase Ar15s and the like.  Anybody know what the minimum age is?

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have a more definite answer?  I dont want to through the process of getting Delaware residency if I cant buy an Ar15 here.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You want to live in Delaware!!! We can't even own machine guns. As far as your question goes it's 18 years of age, just the same as every other rifle, Hand guns 21 years. Just remember Delaware is very strict on who gets guns so it you have ever been in a mental hosptial,convicted of a felony or gone to court for a felony and has been knocked down to misdomener or if you have ever been in a fight(any type of assualt),if your clear here just make DAMN SURE you fill out all the paper work properly and truthfully. If you looking for a great place to buy parts or a whole rifle, call Bob over at X-Ring supply, I just bought a stripped Bushmaster lower from him (real nice guy) some of the other people who work there aren't that knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Zman: Its either Delaware, or the People's Republik of Maryland for me (I'm in Delaware for college, UDel, Newark campus).  Of course, what are the laws for getting a Delaware State ID, and could I buy firearms with that? (Instead of switching my residency and getting a Delaware Driver's Liscense)  

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Well welcome to Delaware, I hope you aren't living on campus and have a firearm. A buddy of mine was busted a few years ago for having a pocket knife(was chargde with dangerous object,Explosive and firearms)which he had none of.(Campus police wanted to make an example)But the incompetent cop arrested him and forgot two big issues 1. Did not read rights 2. He was under 18, OPPS!!!!! They had a very big law suit going. but was dropped(it was just to make am example of them).Now they just stop cars on RxR tracks so trains can crash into them.HAHA!!
OK. A state id can be had at the Del. motor vehicle. But I don't think that will help since you don't have Del. residency. (But I could be wrong). I just bought an ar-15 lower at X-Ring down on Ogeltown Rd. call Bob to make sure, his number is 737-6575.If it works out let me know, I know many places to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
ZMAN- Hey I fondled your striped lower just the other day, what a small world! Bushmaster right. Yeah, Bob is the man over at X-Ring. That's the only place I go and I'm even in MD.
Karn- You do realize that you do not have to be a DE resident to buy your AR-15 in DE. Rifles and shotguns are fine from neighboring states, just no handguns or specific assult weapons named on the controlled list that MD has. All Bushmaster AR's are ok to buy by out of stater's. The guys there will explain.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Mk1ii: The biggest thing is, I'm 19 so some gun store employees arent willing to help me out.  Do you think the guys at X-ring will still sell to me?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Karn-
It's the law. No if's, ands, or buts. Unless MD has a law about being over 21 for some types of rifles which would be a huge violation over federal law you will do fine. Just go there, look em over. Have them put one aside for you if you can't pay it off all at once and in a reasonable amount of time pay it off and have them do the paper work. You need a driver's lic. and vehicle reistration as the two preferred id's and don't even make an issue of your age. Remember federal law says 18 for rifles and it's their job to make sure all's legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top