Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2001 10:44:44 AM EDT
Well, I just went through a bit of a hassle with UPS. I am shipping ammo to an individual, and was told by the UPS 800 number drones to take to local Customer Center, they would have all of the info/requirements there. When I got there:

They were at least very nice.
They had no idea about the requirements.
They had no stickers to label the box, nor any idea what kind of labeling was required-their guideline booklet said that it must fall within Federal guidelines (and had no idea what those are)
Had serious doubts that I, not being a dealer, could ship to an individual.

After a phone call to UPS HQ, I was instructed to write O.R.M.D. and Small Arms Ammunition on the box.

Any help and guidelines from you guys that have done this would be appreciated (what markings, and where to get stickers for them specifically)

Thanx,
Don out
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the information from the regulation, 49CFR173.63(b)(2):

(i)"Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;"

(ii)"Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;"

(iii)"Inside boxes, partitions, or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;"

(iv)"Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package; and"

(v) "Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings."

The package must also be marked Cartridges, Small Arms and ORM-D.  The ORM-D marking should be inside a rectangle at least a quarter of an inch larger than the ORM-D on each side.  The markings should be on the same side of the package as the address of the recipient.

When you put the ORM-D marking on a package it is a certification that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled and in proper condition for transportation in accordance with the regulations.

This is probably a lot more information than you wanted, but those are the regulations for shipping small amounts of ammunition.  Larger packages would have to classed as explosives and have more stringent requirements.

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly what I was looking for. I did everything except draw the box around ORM-D, and they were happy with it. I'll print up some labels for next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top