Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 6:29:42 PM EDT
Is it legal to own an AR-15 while in possession of a legal M16?  Someone told me they thought it was illegal but I can't find an answer on the ATF site or other legal postings.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
as far as I know it is legal as long as it is a m-16 or pre may 86 conv. no LL or drop in sears.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've always heard its perfectly legal. Even with the LL or DIAS.
In fact, if you had a LL or DIAS you could swap them between AR's as long as the rifle that doesn't have the registered part doesn't contain any of the class III trigger parts. When swapping your LL or DIAS from one rifle to the other you would also have to swap out the rest of the trigger parts also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The kicker is that you can't have any spare parts around for the M16 if you also have a semi AR-15 into which they'll fit.

ATF sees that the same as possessing an unregistered machinegun (in addition to your legal, registered one)

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The kicker is that you can't have any spare parts around for the M16 if you also have a semi AR-15 into which they'll fit.

ATF sees that the same as possessing an unregistered machinegun (in addition to your legal, registered one)

View Quote

That all depends.  If you have a part, or parts, that, together, will only serve to modify a non-NFA weapon into an NFA weapon, then you may not possess.  Otherwise, it's not unlawful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#5]
D-1, answers to these NFA type questions can usually be found on James Bardwell's law pages on the subguns site: [url]http://www.subguns.com/laws/laws.htm[/url]. In particular, this ATF letter seems to cover your question: [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter90.txt[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top