Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 4:27:56 PM EDT
As I'm sure other's have seen on the news, various LE agencies have been searching trucks going in and out of Manhattan, as well as at other places throughout the country.

What's the probable cause they are using to open up all these trucks and peek inside?

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Commercial Vehicles have fewer protections than a private citizens car or home. Commercial Vehicles are more like commercial buildings. I don't think a K-Mart, during regular business hours, open to the public, can deny access to a LEO.

Commercial trucks are also subject to inspections and weighing. There is no PC for that. I think it may come under the same type of stop. It's just not being done at a weigh station.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
At some point they were even searching private vehicles with the excuse that "You cannot keep an eye on your vehicle 24/7" meaning that someone else could put something in/under it. Now in order to alleviate traffic since there are so many daily searches they have implemented a temporary law indicating that vehicles going into the city through specific points must have two or more passengers to force people to carpool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't the Prez declare NYC in a state of NAtional Emergency? This is what gives them the power.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it matter? They are the government. They will do the right thing. For instance using public airports for military missions. Does that make public airports targets? Yes, but we can trust them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The DOT screws with trucks all the time. All day, every day. I'm not sure what would happen if you got all pissy about "probable cause" at a safety stop. Jail time? Or maybe they would just shoot you. I am sure they would not be amused.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The DOT screws with trucks all the time. All day, every day.
View Quote

I second that!!  Olsow...you sound like you've dealt with them before [:D]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top