Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 11:29:48 PM EDT
OK, to make a long story short, due to the attacks on 9/11, there is a large possibility that I will be returning to active duty.

Having said that, I am looking at being stationed in the PRK, or Washington State.  WA doesn't have me worried, but relocating to the PRK sounds dicey if I remember correctly. :(

I am assuming that taking my AR with me is out of the question, as well as my FN, the SPAS and probably the HK.  So, having said that, which of the following can I take:

M1 Garand
Mossberg 590 Military

I am hoping at least one....

Now for the pistols, what are the laws??  I've got a 92F, a 92FC, a Delta Elite, and finally the Browning HP.  Which of these, if any, can I bring with me??

Sheesh, after reading this, I am REALLY hoping to get to Everett, WA.  ;-)
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=38713[/url]

This may help.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OK, to make a long story short, due to the attacks on 9/11, there is a large possibility that I will be returning to active duty.

M1 Garand
Mossberg 590 Military

I am hoping at least one....

Now for the pistols, what are the laws??  I've got a 92F, a 92FC, a Delta Elite, and finally the Browning HP.  Which of these, if any, can I bring with me??

Sheesh, after reading this, I am REALLY hoping to get to Everett, WA.  ;-)
View Quote

If you can, stay the hell out of CA, it's become a real s**thole lately for us gunowners.

The grand is all right, and so is the mossberg, as long as it's pump, semi could cause you some problems. Any rifle with a pistol grip is EVIL, so says the &&$%* Davis.

All the pistols you mentioned should be fine, but I could be wrong.

I'd advise you to go to [url]www.calnra.org[/url] and take a look around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The M1 and Mossberg, as well as all the pistols are OK.  You will have to register the pistols in California.  If you will be living on base, you may be able to bring the evil weapons with you, but you will only be able to shoot them on base.  You would only be permitted to take them off-base to remove them from the state.

For the best info on the subject, see [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html[/url].  Call the contact number and ask them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you can, stay the hell out of CA, it's become a real s**thole lately for us gunowners.
View Quote

Believe me, if there is an option in this, I will avoid it.

But since I refuse to be stationed on the east coast, and the only other ACU unit is in Kali, I may have that as my only other option.  That is of course if I take the ACU, put if I can't go there, I want to go to Everett.

Thanks for the help...
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I would prefer the east coast if my only option was Kali! In fact I would prefer most 3rd world countries to Kail!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Page 39 of California Part 1. Note that Kali. is the only state that's gun laws had to be broken into 2 seperate files.

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/22edition.htm[/url]

I checked the Kali. Laws just now and it says you can only possess an AW if it is for the performance of your duties as an exempt entity under Subsection(f) Article 2 of the AW Ban. This includes Military if the gun is to be used for their duties. So, in short unless the Army says you can have your AWs for duty then the Answer is somewhat no.

Now, for the somewhat. There was a recent ruling of the Kali. Supreme Court ruling that Series Bans are illegal.

FN-FALs are banned by name. HK-91/93/94/PSG-1 are defined by name. Beretta AR-70, Armalite AR-180, and Bushmaster AR-15 are defined by name as well as the Franchi SPAS-12. Now, if your HK is one of the ones listed it is outright banned. If not it must comply with parts rules.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget High cap mags are a no no.

Gun owners hell!!! [:(]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I think rocks are still legal in CA, but not for long so start hoarding.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If they ever ban rocks here I am in deep yogurt without a spoon.  My soil is full of what we call "North Park potatoes" of all sizes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't forget High cap mags are a no no.

Gun owners hell!!! [:(]
View Quote

OH CRAP!!  Does this mean that I have to run around and purchase those 10 rounders before I go to Kali??

Oh well, it looks like my storage place has yet another small item added.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...OH CRAP!!  Does this mean that I have to run around and purchase those 10 rounders before I go to Kali??....
View Quote

Stingerpup, I would NEVER suggest that anyone violate even the dumbest of laws.

That said, enforcing the ban on importation of high-capacity magazines into California really isn't anyone's job.  OK, technically it's the job of the California Highway Patrol, State Police, and every county and municipal agency but very few of them (as individuals) give a rat's a$$ about that kind of thing.  It IS legal to bring magazines that you previously had in CA back into CA, and there is no requirement for documentation.

The ONLY inspections you are going to encounter when entering the state by land are:

- An agricultural one to make sure you aren't bringing in any exotic bugs, or fruits and vegetables or live plants that are currently banned; and

- (In the southern areas of the state) the US Border Patrol looking for illegal aliens and drug smugglers.  Particularly Interstate 5 northbound just south of the San Onofre nuclear power plant, and I-15 northbound north of Escondido.

Neither the CA aggie cops nor the feds have any business checking out your firearms or accessories, beyond what is reasonable to ensure their own safety.  There is no California version of the BATF.  There are no Gun Police.  Burden of proof is definitely on the state to show that a magazine you are carrying in your car wasn't previously in the state legally.

If you FLY into the state you'll have to deal with whatever airport security has been implemented since 9/11, but it is still legal to fly with firearms and ammo in your checked baggage.  And once again, there are no Gun Police here.

Good luck with wherever the fates take you!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It IS legal to bring magazines that you previously had in CA back into CA, and there is no requirement for documentation.
View Quote

Hmm, that's cool, since I purchased the 92F while I was stationed in San Diego.

Of course, leaving 85% of my firearms in another state is still really bothering me.  SIGH!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Stingerpup,
 Since you are moving here you may have an exemption in the AW law. Here is an excerpt relavent stuff in red, and link to the full text:
[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm [/url]

ARTICLE 3. REGISTRATION AND PERMITS

12285. (a) Any person who lawfully possesses an assault weapon, as defined in Section 12276, prior to June 1, 1989, shall register.........
(b)(1) Except as provided in [red]paragraph (2), [/red] no assault weapon possessed .......etc. skip to paragraph 2.

[red](2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following: [/red]
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2. etc..........

You will have to see the text of the law but I don't see an expiration date on registering for people moving in from out of state. I just cut out the good parts. I can't quote the entire text here it is too large.

Has anyone moving into the state tried to register AW's using this?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
i say F**K IT!!!
bring your guns in and Leave them on the military base, only shoot the legal rifles off base.
is the kalif DOJ going to search a federal base in search of illegal weapons? can local LE do that also ? will they ever know that you have them or use them on Base Only ? NO
the only real worry is what the military base would think of you having weapons that are deemed illegal by the state, and of course transporting them from state lines to the base.

F**K IT!! and bring the hi caps, this has got to be one of the most UN-enforcable laws EVER written. its impossible for LE to be able to tell if the mags are illegal, or when you bought them etc. people REGULARLY go across state lines to get hi cap mags and BRING THEM BACK and use them OPENLY at the range, i have no fear about using hi cap mags in public.

bring them in LOCKED UP and SHUT THE HELL UP and have no worries, and drive SLOW
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#15]
As I see it, he has nothing to fear from the Cali DOJ.

What he is questioning is whether or not the Military will let him keep it on base.

Aren't Bases Federal property and the US Soldiers on that base and on leave subject to UCMJ rather than local Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#16]
cc48510,  US Servicemen and women have no exemption from US civilian law, on or off base, unless a specific exemption is written into law.  There are a few such exceptions regarding mainly domicile for taxes, vehicle registration, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top