Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2007 1:12:50 PM EDT
My parents are in Texas and thats where all my guns are at right now.

Im PCS'ing to Washington State next week and am going straight there. Can I have my parents ship me my guns or do I have to go all the way there and drive them to WA at a later date? I dont know when the next time Ill be taking leave is, and I dont want to be stuck up there for 6 months without my guns.

Is it legal to ship yourself a gun to another state? If I recall right Ive heard of people doing this when going hunting to avoid flying with them so I assume its legal but in my case it would be my parents shipping my rifles to me. What if my mom came up to visit me and shipped them to herself and then when she went back they just stayed with me there?

Thanks,

Belmont
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would also like the ansewer to this question. Can you then do a face to face in another state that you are not a resident of? I don't want to fly with my rifle and would like to ship it a week ahead so it will be there when I arive.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10

I found it. you can send your own guns to yourself in another state

B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. Looks like my parents are going to be busy next week shipping me my guns....

Thanks btw!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cool. Looks like my parents are going to be busy next week shipping me my guns....

Thanks btw!

Not legally.

BATFE ONLY allows the owner to ship to HIM/HERself. It does NOT allow a third party to ship the guns to the lawful owner.

Sorry to bring bad news, but read the words very carefully in the prior post and you will see what I am saying above.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
now dont quote me on this, but when I worked for a post office in Montana, we could ship firearms through regular mail as long as the guns could not opperate. IE: Barrel and receiver were in seporate boxes. As long as you seportate them they are only parts and can be sent by mail. Look into it, but thats how we use to do it. USPS and UPS can ship them, but gunpowder or ammo is another story (not sure if you need info on that either)

also where in WA state are you headed too?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
now dont quote me on this, but when I worked for a post office in Montana, we could ship firearms through regular mail as long as the guns could not opperate. IE: Barrel and receiver were in seporate boxes. As long as you seportate them they are only parts and can be sent by mail. Look into it, but thats how we use to do it. USPS and UPS can ship them, but gunpowder or ammo is another story (not sure if you need info on that either)

also where in WA state are you headed too?

Ft. Lewis.

At the very least Im going to have my mom ship me the uppers I have as I know for a fact you can ship those to anyone. I can always pick up a lower from Rainier when I get there, and I was planning on buying some anyways.

Im wondering if she could ship my handguns to me but ship them to an FFL like she was selling them to me, and I just did the background check again and paid the transfer fee. Id pay 100 bucks to get all my rifles to me legally and wouldnt have to wait for however long for me to have to go to Texas to get my own guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You can quote me on this, and I never worked for the p.o., thank gawd!  It's perfectly legal to ship a long gun through USPS.

The BATFE regulation regarding shipping to yourself is a family accommodation.  How the hell does the BATFE or anybody else know who actually opens the package on the receiving end?  JHC!  Have your mom ship the rifle to herself.  When you get to the package, open the damn thing.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can quote me on this, and I never worked for the p.o., thank gawd!  It's perfectly legal to ship a long gun through USPS.

The BATFE regulation regarding shipping to yourself is a family accommodation.  How the hell does the BATFE or anybody else know who actually opens the package on the receiving end?  JHC!  Have your mom ship the rifle to herself.  When you get to the package, open the damn thing.  

Yeah Im probably going to just have her ship them to me. They are my guns, I legally own and paid for them, and Im not going all the way to Texas to pick them up.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah Im probably going to just have her ship them to me. They are my guns, I legally own and paid for them, and Im not going all the way to Texas to pick them up.

The odds are that you will get away with it and the BATF won't really care, even if it's illegal.  The law and regulations don't care about ownership, they address possession.  Legally, you would be making an interstate transfer from your mom to yourself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The law and regulations do care about ownership!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top