Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2001 7:41:56 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

The idea of building my own rifle is starting to become attractive to me, mostly because I'm cheap.  However, in reading the "Build It Yourself" forum, some questions have come up which are better answered in this forum:

When you build that 80% casting into a receiver, and put it together to make a rifle, do you have to serial number it?  If not, can anybody quote me the body of law that says I don't have to?  With my regular ration of bad luck, some idiot at a range will ask to see my homebuilt and the next thing I know I'll be downtown in the Federal Holding Area awaiting something awful.  I would REALLY like to have this little piece of federal legislation on my person (you can bet it will be laminated and carried with my rifle the way the Form 4 is carried with NFA weapons) to prevent this little legal misunderstanding.

Any ideas?

Panz [smoke]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think that a firearm made for your own personal use needs to be serialized. I would go look it up at the ATF site, but I just took some pain killers and Im feeling a little lazy. If I were to build up my own 80% receiver I would definately put a serial number on it anyways. Think of all the cool stuff you could make it. A truely personalized firearm.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top