Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 8:56:25 PM EDT
Personally, I don't have the means to make one of these things. But, I am curious. Is there any way that this thing could be legal? Would it involve some kind of ATF paper with the $200 fee? Since it doesn't permanantly effect the rifle, is there some kind of legal grey zone? I figure since it makes the rifle full auto, not like one of those "Hellfire" devices which fires a round with every trigger pull, it must be like a DIAS (legaly speaking), but I just am not sure.

Very curious about this. I like hearing what the experts say. [thinking]

The Jackalope
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't legally make one for yourself (unless you're a class 2 manufacturer).

There are quite a few (a thousand or more) registered lightning links out there from before the 1986 cutoff, and you can purchase one of those if your state allows it, and you've got the money.

Figure about $2500 for the link, plus a transfer fee, plus the $200 transfer tax.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahhh...ok. I was under the impression that the LL was created AFTER 1986. That's why I was confused. I had never seen an advertisement for one in Shotgun News or similar, but there are a few DIAS ads per issue, so again it lead me to believe this was a newer item.

Nonetheless, I am a user of firearms, not a maker. If I tried making one of those things it would probably look like some frankenstein device that would make my rifle blow up and kill me. Heh.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The Jackalope
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top