Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2001 8:33:59 AM EDT
if i was to buy one of those 3rd generation colt blackpowder revolvers, what restrictions would i need to be concerned with if i wanted to shoot it? i have no concealed carry permit, so i am unfamiliar with the laws. are these guns even considered "handguns"??? it would seem that i could at least take it, unloaded to the range, but how about carry?

thanx!

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal law does not consider them "firearms." (Unless I'm totally mistaken.) You can purchase them through the directly mail.

However, NY might very well have some sort of restrictions on black powder pistols.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, antique firearms and those which don't use fixed ammunition are not considered 'firearms' at all by the federal revenue codes - however, that's for purposes of taxation and regulation of commerce.

Just because ATF doesn't consider it to be a taxable modern firearm doesn't mean your state won't consider it a deadly weapon which is illegal to carry concealed without a permit. Check your state laws to see if they explicitly address "non-firearm" deadly weapons.

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#3]
They ARE considered handguns by NYS. Obviously since you don't need an FFL, you could smuggle one in, but you should get a permit for it (or have it added). I have a friend who took the,um, other route. Check the NY State Police webpage. They have all kinds of fun data on what the pistol permit regs are.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you do not possess the powder and projectiles it is considered an antique firearm in NYS and you do not need to be licensed to possess it.

If you also possess the powder and projectiles you are required to obtain and register it on your pistol permit even if you don't intend on shooting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top