Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2001 8:46:11 PM EDT
I just purchased a new Olympic Arms Ar-15 at a gun show.  It came with a 30 round magazine.  After I got home (some distance away, I noticed that there were stampings on the mag indicating Military/Gov't/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only, 33710 and 10-99.  It's also stamped with Colt's Mfg.  The floor plate is a DSL plate.  I'm guessing that it's illegal for me to use this mag.  Am I right?  The dealer I bought this weapon from had quite a box of these.  If it's illegal for me to use, can I sell it, trade it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You can have it only if your a LEO. Take it back for a replacement  , give it to a LEO or toss it. That thing is bad dodo.

red man
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like this is happening to a lot of the new guys.  As well as some of the older guys, check those mags before you leave with them!
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Massachusettes also prohibits now.  New York has codified the Federal ban in State law but pre-bans are still okay.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I got ahold of the dealer that sold me the AR-15 and Mag., he says he wasn't aware of the stampings until I said something to him.  He had just traded a gun for a bulk lot of these at the same show.  He said a friend of his told him that the ATF told his buddy that they didn't have enough agents or time to pursue Mag. violations.  I guess this explains why dealers are doing it right out in the open at gun shows.  I told him I was too paranoid to even possibly attract attention to myself giving the Gestapo probable cause to inspect my home.  He's going to trade me out. [beer]
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple questions about this topic.  Both relate to just what is illegal.

1) Is it because it's a post-ban hi-cap magazine and notnarmorer is a civilian?

And / or...

2) Is it because it's a post-ban lower with a hi-cap magazine (of any age)?

Looking for clarification...thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Pablo,  you can use any hi cap mag with any post ban AR. EXCEPT the ones marked for law enforcement only (LEO). These can only be had by military or law enforcement and sometimes they find their way into shows.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Roberts.  I've been confused on the pre/post-ban crap, and what you say is the exact opposite of what a gun shop employee told me tonight.

My interest is that I own a 1992 Colt 6700 (sold as complete rifle), and I see these are going for a pretty good price.  I was debating selling it & using the money to pick up a post-ban lower along with 20" & 16" uppers.  I hadn't looked into pricing much yet tho to know if that was feasible.

What I didn't want to get stuck with was giving up my pre-ban lower if post-ban lowers legally couldn't use hi-cap (pre- or post-ban) magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top