Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2001 2:16:50 PM EDT
A friend of mine who lives in New Jersey is getting ready to buy a handgun and he is kinda confused at all the regulations.
I seem to recall seeing a web site that outlines the procedures. Does anybody have the address?

He already stopped by the local police station to ask about it and was told he needed to be fingerprinted and it would cost $50. He had just recently been fingerprinted at the same station for his teaching job and asked why he needed it again. He asked me if this was legal, I told him while it was probably legal it isn't constitutional, welcome to NJ.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with [url]www.nationalccw.com[/url] and hit the NJ laws button at thebottom ofthe page.

Basically, he's got to:
1.  Get a Firearm Purchaser's ID Card.  NJ's FOID. Local police station & one thumb print.  Pretty quick.

2.  Get a permit to purchase a handgun.  This may take a while As it include's all the background checks, including mental health.  This is where he gets fully fingerprinted (again.  It's for a different bureaucracy).  This one may take some time, like two to six months.

3.  Do the 4473 and NICS at the dealer's place.

4.  Take it home.

5.  If he wants to buy more than one handgun, he can get a second permit at the same time & it's good for 90 days & can be renewed.  If he wants to buy another within five years it's only a partial do-over.  More than five & he does everything except #1 again.

Geat fun,
Norm
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd advise your buddy in NJ to pick up a copy of NAPPEN II by Evan Nappen a pro gun lawyer out of I think Englishtown.  Most NJ dealers have his book (it's bright orange) and i think it's on amazon.com

Also check
[url]www.evannappen.com[/url]

[50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top