Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2001 11:56:35 AM EDT
Hey gang......I have a pile of 6-round .45 mags to off load.  I was wondering if there is any place in the U.S that I can not ship them to.  

I have not been able to find anything that refs mags below 10 rounds.  I have seen on several websites that they will not ship 'any' mags to MA, NYC and WashDC.  I want to be as informed as I can before I start.  Thanks!

V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Link Posted: 9/2/2001 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK NYC restricts pistols mags to 17 rounds and long gun mags to five rounds. A firearm with a magazine of greater capacity is considered an illegal "assault weapon".  

AFAIK in NYC you may only possess an ammunition-feeding device for firearms, which you have been issued a permit for.

NYS does not have any law restricting mag capacity or posession of mags.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
rk, does that mean that if I buy magazines ofr a gun I do not own yet, it is illegal?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
TW: AFAIK that is the current law in NYC only.

NYS has no such restriction.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AFAIK NYC restricts pistols mags to 17 rounds and long gun mags to five rounds. A firearm with a magazine of greater capacity is considered an illegal "assault weapon".  

AFAIK in NYC you may only possess an ammunition-feeding device for firearms, which you have been issued a permit for.

NYS does not have any law restricting mag capacity or posession of mags.
View Quote

I'm not saying you're wrong, rkbar15, but have you been in some of the army-navy stores in the city?  There's one in particular (on a well known street with a particularly high police presence) that has a crate full of mags right at the front door. I've seen all types and capacities in there, all for sale to the general public - Uzi, Thompson, BAR, MP5, M16, hi-cap pistols, etc.  Even saw a Lahti mag in there once.

But again, I've never bothered with reading the city law.  Its quite possible they may be openly breaking the law and the cops are just too dumb to realize it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
AFAIK this is the current law in NYC concerning rifle mags:

10-306. Disposition, purchase and possession of ammunition and ammunition feeding devices.

a. No person, except a dealer in rifles and shotguns, may dispose of to another person an ammunition feeding device which is designed for use in a rifle or shotgun and which is capable of holding more than five rounds or rifle or shotgun ammunition, except in the manner provided in this chapter for the disposition of assault weapons, provided that a person in lawful possession of such ammunition feeding devices may dispose of such ammunition feeding devices to a dealer in rifles and shotguns. No dealer in rifles and shotguns may dispose of such ammunition feeding devices except to a person who is exempt from subdivision a of section 10-303.1 pursuant to section 10-305.

b. No person may possess an ammunition feeding device which is designed for use in a rifle or shotgun and which is capable of holding more than five rounds of rifle or shotgun ammunition, unless such person is exempt form sub-division a of section 10-303.1 pursuant to section 10-305, provided that a dealer in rifles and shotguns may possess such ammunition feeding devices for the purpose of disposition authorized pursuant to subdivision a of this section.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top