Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2001 4:51:14 AM EDT
Here I go again, but I would really like to be sure. I was wondering in regards to Pre-1899 Firearms. Exactly what can I do.

1) Can a Pre-1899 Rifle or Shotgun be sawed off below 16/26 or 18/28 ?

2) What about Pre-1899 MGs. If there are any, are they subject to the NFA ?

3) Pre-1899 Handguns. If they are Non-Guns, then they are still considered deadly weapons ?

4) Age to own a handgun in Florida is 21, I believe. Would a Pre-1899 Handgun not be subject to that restriction ?

5) Fixed Ammunition (Regular Ammo.) Would a .32 or .38 Pre-1899 Antique be consdered antique if it uses fixed ammo. that is readily available ? Also, would changing the Caliber change the classification ?

6) Vehicular Carry. Would it be subject to the same restrictions as a handgun, rifle,  or what ?

I have seriously considered buying some Pre-1899 guns for self-defense. As in buying an 1896 Shotgun and sawing it down to short enough to easily use in Close Quarters. A Double Barrel Shotgun with No Stock and a 10" or Shorter Barrel would make a nice Close Quarters Self-Defense Gun as long as I don't need more than 2 Rounds. I've seen Pre-1899 Pump Shotguns. If they couled be sawed down to 12"/16" or smaller then they'd make nice CQ Guns. Just an idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Anything that fits the definition of a short barrel rifle or short barrel shotgun is subject to the NFA, regardless of when it was made.  Several named exceptions have been made to this for weapons of historical interest like original luger pistols with shoulder stock holsters.

2) Anything that fits the definition of a machinegun is subject to the NFA, regardless of when it was made.  They had to have been registered before 5/19/86 to be legal for non-government ownership in the USA now, even if made before 1899.

3) Yes, they are still considered weapons.  State laws vary on antique and black powder firearms, but they're still weapons just like a knife or club.

4) Not sure in Florida - state laws vary on the age to purchase non-firearms which are still considered deadly weapons.

5) Anything that cannot use fixed ammunition, or was made in or before 1898 is not a 'firearm' under the definition of the Gun Control Act of 1968.  So yes, an original antique is still considered an antique even if it can use fixed ammunition which is still readily available.  Changing the caliber to a more modern round would change the classification, though.

6) Vehicular laws will depend on your state.  They might have the same restrictions as modern firearms, or a different set - all depends on how state law defines firearms for purposes of transportation, possession, etc versus how federal law defines firearms for purposes of dealer licensing and interstate commerce.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I obtained a list from the BATF that shows C&Rs removed from the NFA:

Any military bolt action or semiautomatic rifle mfd. prior to 1946 and accompanied by a "cup type" grenade launcher designed for the specific rifle.

I wonder if I could shorten the barrels even more, or not ?

Beretta, model 1918/1930, semiautomatic carbine, cal. 9mm, having a barrel length of 12.5" and a magazine capacity of 25 rounds.

Now that would be cool to have.

German, model 1918, (WWI) anti-tank rifle (PzAgew 1918), cal. 13.25mm.

U.S. Coast Guard 37mm Deck Cannon, S/N M1-1983.

I wonder where I could buy any of these  ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top