Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2001 9:25:48 AM EDT
Is there any way for a California residant to get a AR lower? I've heard of the 80% complete but i heard the were difficult to complete. Please help!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
There's currently no way for you to legally get an AR you don't already own and have registered.  Completing an 80% lower (or building one entire from scratch, even) would be prohibited under current California law.

There has been a partial reversal of the "series" definitions given in the Roberti-Roos assault weapons ban of 1989, which may soon allow AR-15 receivers not specifically named in RR89 to be imported into California again in a stripped state, and legally completed without a pistol grip.  Check with your local gun dealers or the California DOJ to see if any stripped AR receivers have been approved for importation and sale in CA yet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposedly the DOJ is formulating some new rules to cover their "take" on the recent court ruling, and dragging their feet in doing so. We'll just have to wait for an answer. Then there is the Emerson case, which could end up pulling the rug out from under the PRK's best laid plans.

You might check with these guys. Someone previously posted they had received written authorization from PRK DOJ to sell these in the PRK:[url]http://www.gogogadgets.net/[/url] Better ask them if they have any dealers lined up if that's true.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm also waiting for a non-listed AR, BUT have this feeling the DOJ is against us.  They will prevent the legal importation of these RIFLES, until they can be added to the list.

Maybe we have a chance, since they have no right to prevent importation of these rifles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as a regular, unadulterated AR lower? Not that I'm aware of yet. I have talked with four FFL's in my area and none of them have heard anything new from DOJ, so no one will touch the AR's. The two who seem to be the Most  ProGun said they didn't know of the State Supreme Court ruling before I brought it up. One of these two did call DOJ and got a negative reply on the issue so far. So unless you want to carry a lower into the state that is not specifically listed in the 2000 Assault Weapons Identification Guide, and take a chance on being the first test case, find something else like the DPMS and GoGoGadgets lowers that claim to be CA. legal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Which DPMS lower does DPMS sell that they say is California legal? Has anyone delt with the GoGoGadgets lower and how are they? Is the magazine really permenatly atached?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The DPMS lower is a single shot that has had a the mag well capped off so it will not accept magazines. There is a pic of it mated with the Ferret 50 on the Ferret Website.

Alex
Edited because I found a better pic.
nevermind, the link does not work
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That single shot reciever is kinda kool errrr I guess. I think it needs a belt fed upper for it [bounce]

What do you think?
[img]http://members.home.net/martinmac/guns/dpmssingle[/img]

Here it is with the ferret 50 upper. I like this too. I don't want to use my recievers for a 50  but a single... maybe.

godamn i need to learn to poofread
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...The two [FFLs] who seem to be the Most  ProGun said they didn't know of the State Supreme Court ruling before I brought it up. One of these two did call DOJ and got a negative reply on the issue so far....
View Quote

Does anyone else get ROYALLY PISSED OFF when they hear something like this?  For cryin' out loud, if an FFL holder doesn't keep up with legal issues how the heck can he or she expect to stay in business?

Last week I attended a highly technical class at the office of one of my company's equipment and software vendors.  Very cool stuff, and on the last day I discovered that our instructor was a gun collector who dabbles in gunsmithing.  He said he used to have an FFL until the price went up.  He also claimed, braggingly, that his AK clones were now completely illegal to own in California.  I asked whether or not he had registered any of them and he gave me a blank look.  He was under the impression that ALL AK clones were completely banned (i.e. you have to turn them in, no way to keep them) by SB-23, and that their legal status was somehow different than ARs.  He thought that some Colt-made AR type rifles were still legal in the state.  I couldn't believe it!

I guess we need to work even harder to make sure people stay informed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top