Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:24:44 PM EDT
What are the Virginia laws governing having a longgun in the trunk of a vehicle?  I would like to keep a shotgun or carbine in the trunk if possible.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Being an LE who works on the border of Virginia I feel i can accurately answer this.

In Virginia state law permits the carry of a loaded firearm in the passenger compartment of the vehicle loaded or otherwise as long as it is in plain view. I do believe carrying in the trunk could be construed as carrying concealed if a guy was really zealous. If it's cased it shouldn't be a problem. For general safety I would keep it unloaded.

Certain incorporated areas of Virginia may have more restrictive laws, Richmond comes to mind as a possibility.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The hunting regulations will cause a problem if you have a loaded long gun in a vehicle.
To carry  a long gun it must be unloaded and plainly visible if accessible to the vehicel occupants.
If in the trunk it stil must be unloaded to avoid the hunting rules.
If it is not plainly visible it is considered concealed and CWP only covers handguns.
Put it in the trunk, keep it unloaded.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a concealed weapon license.  Unloaded is fine if i could keep 1-2 loaded mags/pouch of shells.  Would that be fine if i locked the weapon in a case or cable lock?  If a carbine, i was thinking something like a used M1 carbine, SKS or Kel-tec SU-16.  I have an AK & AR15, but that might cause an LEO to freak.  I fear i would get hassled for it.  I could'nt really give a good answer other then that i would rather carry a rifle/shotgun then a measly pistol.  Thus so far whenever there has been a public shooting in which an assailant has used a long gun.  Pistol users seem to loose...badly.

I do not hunt or fish.  How would that effect me?  How do most LEO's feel about someone keeping a firearm in the trunk?  Would i be viewed as just some paranoid (and maybe i am ) or is it not too uncommon for a citizen to do so.  I know several people who carry a handgun, but not keep a trunk gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
"I have a concealed weapon license"

No, you have a concelaed handgun license.
Better look at the permit again.  It does not cover anything but handguns.
It does not matter if you hunt or not, the laws assume if you have a long arm you are hunting.
As long as the gun is unloaded and in the trunk you will bnot have any problems with either the concealed or hunting regulations.
Unless you give a LEO probable cause they are not going to search the vehicle (or get a warrent to search).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"I have a concealed weapon license"

No, you have a concelaed handgun license.
Better look at the permit again.  It does not cover anything but handguns.
It does not matter if you hunt or not, the laws assume if you have a long arm you are hunting.
As long as the gun is unloaded and in the trunk you will bnot have any problems with either the concealed or hunting regulations.
Unless you give a LEO probable cause they are not going to search the vehicle (or get a warrent to search).

I already know it was for handgun only.

I've had my vehicle searched on minor traffic stops.  Out of date decals.  If a Police Officer asks me if i have weapons in the vehicle i will not lie to him.  Cops have always asked me if i have firearms in the car.  It seems to be SOP.  Im pretty sure i dont look militant either, most people are surprised i own guns.

Still, what about a loaded magazine seperate from the weapon?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
As long as the gun is not loaded you are in compliance.
Carry in a trunk is not considered accessible to the vehicle occupants.  You would have to get out, walk to the trunk, open it, retrieve the weapon, load, etc.
The problem gets more complicated in vehicles without a trunk, like a pickup or SUV.
Now you end up with a gun rack since the weapon is accessible but must not be concealed.
The weapon may not be loaded in a rack either to avoid vioalting the hunting regulations.
Virginia is actually pretty easy to transpport in, and simply placing an unloded weapon in the trunk works very well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as hunting regs go different county have different regs. Some counties the long gun can't be loaded and some can. But as long as there is no hunting season in who cares ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
" But as long as there is no hunting season in who cares ?"

Then you will be charged with poaching.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
" But as long as there is no hunting season in who cares ?"

Then you will be charged with poaching.

That's funny I keep a rifle or shotgun in my truck and haven't been charged with poaching . May be it's a risk in some of the highly populated counties but not here. I bet 6 out of 10 trucks around here have a loaded rifle or shotgun in them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on if someone needs a few more tickets for the month.
Possesion of a firearm in the National Forests outside of season is already prohibited.
I fully realize the more rural areas often are not hell bent on hassling folks, but they can if they want to.  not a good position to be in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
This reminds me of something that's always bothered me.

I have an extended bed truck. I routinely have guns (almost always cased) that are in the cab just behind me. Lots of times these guns have other stuff (duffle bags, blankets,etc) covering them.

Would this be a violation of a law such as this?

(In Washington state, as long as long guns are unloaded you can do pretty much whatever with them...)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#12]

It is very state law dependent, and much is in the case law.
In VA a gun in the passenger compartment is concealed if it is not readily visible.
loaded or unloaded makes no difference.  
In a case is concealed since it is not readily apparent what is in the case.
Add in the laws governing hunting and poaching in Virginia that vary county by county, and rules for firearms in the National Forests (and parks).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top