Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:24:39 AM EDT
See article.  Local area guy (Baton Rouge, LA) is in need of legal assistance to go after the police for false arrest, etc.  Anyone here a gun lawyer interested in the case?  The guy posts in the comments section of Keepandbeararms.com somewhat regularly. That's about the only way I know to get a hold of him.

Ascension Citizen article

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The NRA has used Stephen Halbrook to challenge some laws in the past. Apparently Halbrook has a good track record on 2A cases.

Refer the guy to the following website:

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/

Wish him luck from me!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm In BR AND I WOULD LOVE TO, but I have 2 years + the bar to go. I'll keep an eye out for him though. Maybe I can find someone who can help him.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Any civil attorney could take the case......

Shoot, you may even get the anti-gun ACLU on that case. They won't fight gun laws, but will fight for those that are wrongly arrested or prosecuted.

If you are searching for a criminal side, the local DA or state are the two areas he could try. Sounds like one was already shot down.

Each LE agency has a designated investigator from the FBI assigned to them. The FBI is there to monitor any civil rights violations. With an isolated incident and no physical injury or severe unlawful seizure, they probably won't help.

All I can say is a civil lawsuit is the best bet.........

It is sad to me when cops like these in the story wrongfully enforce laws and give the rest of us a bad name.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I would just like to add that I do not know the guy, nor do I have any connection to him, other than living in the same area.  All I know of the situation is what was in the news story.  The only other information that I've seen is from a few postings on KABA.com.  He supposedly contacted GOA and NRA, but niether one has offered any assistance.  IMHO, his only shot with this one is to find a local attorney that's strongly pro-gun and has a good grasp of all the applicable laws.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot, any moron in law school could take this civil case........that side is fairly easy.

I don't work in the area and have no idea about case law, but a 5 min. research could clear that side up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
True, any attorney "could" take the case.  The question is whether or not they will.  The typical civil attorney is going to look at one thing, dollar signs.  This case probably wouldn't represent much in the way of dollar signs, so they won't be as interested.  Only a true pro-gun attorney is going to look at it for the principle of it (which is what the case would really be about).

Hmmm.  Maybe he needs to contact Ashton O-Dwyer.  Ashton is the guy that's representing the woman that was man-handled and had her gun siezed during the Katrina aftermath.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Granted, it is no slam dunk personal injury case, but there are plenty of attorneys that will only get paid upon what they collect.

This case seems fairly simple to me........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top