Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:34 PM EDT
I live in ohio, my wife is florida. She has orders to deploy in april, and I finish school in June. My lease is up to August. I want to get out of my lease early, but my complex says they do not end leases early.

I just found out about the Soldiers and Sailors act a couple nights ago, it does apply to dependents of active duty military.

With my timeline above, can I present a valid case to my complex to get out of my lease?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea, but why don't you or your Wife pose that question to the JAG that is assigned to assist her unit.

They will have the correct info and assist you if that is possible.

If JAG determines that you can get out of the lease early, the landlord's policies don't mean squat! Landlords don't get the privilege of "opting out" of Fed Laws!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
How is your ending your lease early related to her deployment?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How is your ending your lease early related to her deployment?

take care of her (our) apartment/car/animals

and to be there if she gets home early :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
OK so - you want to be able to move to FLA in April to cover her correct?  Your move is triggered by the deployment?  Again correct?  Beucase if that is my understanding then you should be covered.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK so - you want to be able to move to FLA in April to cover her correct?  Your move is triggered by the deployment?  Again correct?  Beucase if that is my understanding then you should be covered.

roger
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You might also have a local Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) office or rep that can them.

My gut feel is that you might have a bit of a problem. She's getting the orders but she doesn't live there.  Is she on the lease?  If she is you should have no problems.  If not, iffy.  But they have a duty to mitigate their losses by filling the vacancy as soon as possible, so you shouldn't have too big a $$ hit.  That ESGR Rep might have the local connections that can apply some motivation to assist you.

Get the ball rolling and give as much notice as possible.  That way they can make plans to fill it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
The BAH is supposed to cover your lease payments while you're deployed.  However, in your situation, living in a different location presents an interesting factor.  Personally, I don't believe the SSRA is going to help you, seeing as how you maintain a seperate residence, and are not deploying.  Do have your wife look into this though, albeit with her chain of command, as she is not reserve or guard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The BAH is supposed to cover your lease payments while you're deployed.  However, in your situation, living in a different location presents an interesting factor.  Personally, I don't believe the SSRA is going to help you, seeing as how you maintain a seperate residence, and are not deploying.  Do have your wife look into this though, albeit with her chain of command, as she is not reserve or guard.

No, BAH is what you recieve in lieu of government housing.  It has nothing to do with deployment. His move is apparently triggered by her deployment; other wise he would stay till at least June.  I would have to reveiw the law at length, but my understanding of it would at least make it arguable under the facts as he has presented.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My mistake, I could be thinking BAS.  Whichever one, it's the one that's linked to your ZIP code for payment amount.  ie, if you live in the middle of nowhere, it's going to be a low amount, versus Frisco, which I recall pays the most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top