Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 1:53:49 PM EDT
I'm updating my will & trust. (not dead yet. In fact, I feel fine) I want my son to have my firearms, blades, etc., but he's only sixteen. If my wife and I both pass away, can I will them to a trusted friend who will own them until they determine he is responsible AND of a legal age ? AND ... would it be quite a bit easier (legality-wise) to pick a friend who is also a legal resident of Florida ?  AND (legality-wise)would it be as simple as the friend just taking possession of the weapons and moving them to his safe ?  Trusting them to carry this out is not an issue, as long as it is done legally. Thanks for replies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Legal Florida resident here! I vollunteer to take care of your guns.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You're a prince among men.   I can't be the only person that want's to avoid the "loss" but may not have an adult in-state family member to pass them to. ???  PS "Pooby for Patty" - gotta luv it.
Merry Christmas and Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you're on the right track, especially on the "trust" end of things.  They are, from a strictly property aspect, merely "assets" -- much like the financial assets many people leave in trust for their loved ones.

After my father died, my grandmother forced my mother to put part of what was mine and my sisters (father died w/ no will; TX law at the time made these assets community property) into separate trusts.

Best of luck,

Jake.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to will them to your SON not someone else. The EXECUTOR of the will is then responsible for placing the firearms in legal safe keeping until such age as he may possess them. If he goes to live with other family members or a foster family, the firearms could be released to custody of the adult as long as he's legally able to possess them, even though they're technically owned by your son.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see why you couldn't put them in a trust for your son, so that the guns are released to him when he is of legal standing to possess them, but appoint someone whom you trust to safely and legaly store them until your son is of legal standing to posess your guns.  That way nobody can claim ownership of them except your son, but he won't be in violation of actually posessing them until he is 16.  However, your best bet would be to contact a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate the input.  I think that some of these legal distintions are fine enough that the lawyer route is probably the way to go.      Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
It'll be well worth it in the event of your death.

I got ONE (yes, just one -- a fucking .22, at that) of my dad's 30+ guns.

No will.

ETA: Damn, I looked back at my post; it sounds hella selfish.  My dad is pissed, too.  At all parties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top