Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 6:52:25 PM EDT
i live in NY, where the AWB is alive and well.  let's say that in a couple years the federal AWB is reinstated (god forbid).  before the new ban takes affect, would it be legal for me to drive to pennsylvania, buy an AR or two, and keep them in a self-storage garage there for a few years until i move to a free state?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would bet no, as an individual cannot buy a firearm across state lines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Incorrect.

There may be a NY law against it.

However, according to Federal law, you cna buy a longarm from a FFL in ANY state.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell... I live in the PRK and *I* bought a rifle while in Colorado!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect.

There may be a NY law against it.

However, according to Federal law, you cna buy a longarm from a FFL in ANY state.

You may only buy a long gun in another state if the transaction is legal in BOTH states (your home state and the purchase state). Waiting periods may prove to be one sticking point. If the AR15 configuration in question is NY state legal - presumably with the post-ban features, or no features (stripped lower) - then the transaction should be legal.

My approach (if I was dumb enough to live in NY ) would be to buy a stripped post-ban receiver in upstate NY, take it to a free state, build into a no-ban there, and then put it in storage as proposed. This should be perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Could you just not wait till you are in a free state, then buy them?
Or is it cost?

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Or is it cost?

Taffy

I think he is assuming that the new Federal ban would have a grandfather clause allowing assault weapons made before a certain date to remain, but stopping the manufacture of any new ones. If you are trying to see sense in US gun laws, stop now and save yourself the headache .
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or is it cost?

Taffy

I think he is assuming that the new Federal ban would have a grandfather clause allowing assault weapons made before a certain date to remain, but stopping the manufacture of any new ones. If you are trying to see sense in US gun laws, stop now and save yourself the headache .

lol...what i don't understand is why we're worrying about something that does exist.

I hope he's got a good stockpile of silver, crucifix stamped M193 for when the undead attack us. (if the silver crucifix 193 has been blessed, it's got better terminal ballistics against zombies and werewolves)

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
hey, this is just a theoretical exercise at the moment, but since i'm not going to be able to leave NYS until 2009, i'd like to know what my options are just in case of the unfortunate occurrance of a dem winning in 2008 and pushing for a new AWB

interesting idea on the stripped lower.  so the upper alone isn't considered a firearm and doesn't require a NICS check and such?  so i should be able to buy it in PA w/no problems?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top