Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 5:47:33 PM EDT
I am looking for information on state laws in these four states for non-resident permits. I understand Michigan honors NY permits, and Pennsylvania will give you a non-resident permit but am unsure about Ohio and West Virginia laws...
Is open carry or concealed carry allowed and what do you need to do as a non-resident? If anyone can get me information or links it would be greatly appreciated. Paperwork needed or the best and quickest way to obtain it would also help.
Also, if anyone knows the legalities of transporting a handgun through Canada, please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
thejor, Here in Oh we have N-O ccw at this time. All we have is the "prudent person" defense if one is so unlucky as to be picked up carrying concealed. There is a group that is actively working to get a ccw passed and last I heard is that Gov Taft will sign it if it also has a "lock-em-up" safe storage provision attached.
I dont know if a ccw if passed will reciprocate with other states, but since we have no stated ccw law at this time there is probably not a non-resident honor recognition in place. Open carry is allowed as far I can tell except for localities that prohibit it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to www.packing.org for all the latest CCW info. And don't even think about getting a handgun into Canada.
CrossEyed
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck in trying to figure it out.  I'ved lived in 5 different states, and tried to make sure I had all my "t" s crossed with weapons, permits...  The best I can figure out is nobody knows what the heck is going on with conceal carry permits.  Check with the sheriff's dept., police dept., DA's office, and justice dept., and you'll get 10 different answers, and sometimes they even contradict each other! Check with the N.R.A, last time I did (3 years ago), they had some general fliers that stated the individual state laws.  What I can tell you for sure is DO NOT CROSS STATE LINES into N.Y, N.J or Md. with a weapon in you're vehicle!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top