Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:16:01 PM EDT
Senator Di-Fi opened her hypocritical mouth at the Judge Roberts confirmation hearings by first lauding the worth of the 1,000 foot "gun free zone" and then saying that the Supreme Court showed poor judgment in overturning the law in 1995' US v Lopez decision (Congress passed it again the next year).

So, in the map you'll see by going to Alan Korwin's gunlaws.com web site:

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones.htm

You'll see a map of central Phoenix with as many school zones as the database and GIS software could find and map. About a 1,100 in Maricopa county which has a population of 3.5 million, give or take.

You'll see dots covering major and minor roads throughout metro-Phoenix. (The dots represent the 1,000 foot zone, plus another 300 feet since the zone starts not at the center of the school, but on the sidewalks). So, each dot has a radius of 1,300 feet, and a diameter of 2,600 feet, or about a half mile.

You'll see major highways in red such as Interstate 10 heading west to east through central Phoenix; State Route 51 (Squaw, nay, Pietewa Peak Freeway) and I-17 both heading north/south; and the US 60 heading east into Mesa. The gray lines represent the major surface streets such as Bell Road, Thunderbird, Cactus, Peoria (all east/west in the northern part of Phoenix) as well as north/south streets such as 19th Ave, 35th Ave, etc, in the central-west valley. These are major surface streets WIDE... usually six or even eight lane city streets (fun to cross on foot with the "Don't Walk" sign flashing at you).

To give you some perspective, the blocks made up by the gray roads should be roughly one-square mile (sometimes more, sometimes less) so that two zones, end to end will match the width of most Phoenix city blocks (yes, they are big blocks).

So, as you look over the map which I will post below, you will see that dozens and dozens of school zones block major highways and major surface streets. So, if you're one of the many Arizona citizens who don't have a CCW (only about 70,000 do), if you pass through one of these zones... you're a felon.

Just try to get from Metro Center Mall in NW Phoenix down to the State Capitol in the center of the city. Good luck. Now, look how many surface steets are blocked off at many different places. Some metro-Phoenix citizens are "land-locked" by the GFSZ.

Can't get there from here.

Rick

The following is text from Korwin's press release:

GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONES ACT OF 1990

This act criminalizes every lawful gun owner who travels with a firearm outside the home, with a few narrow exceptions. It was never intended to do this, and needs to be amended. Schools themselves would remain gun-free zones, and the near-total gun ban this law creates would be corrected.

Next up is Cleveland. All those Catholic schools? What a mess !!

There are some exceptions built into the law...

http://www.gunlaws.com/images/GFSZ%20Phoenix.pdf

Things such as CCW permit (if it requires a background check), educational activity, locked and unloaded, etc.

Here is the current law with the new post-Lopez verbage ("it's really, really about interstate commerce") included by Congress in 1996

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a bunch of BS if you ask me
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Dana Wilke, a D.C.-based reporter snagged Korwin's press release and decided to give Senator DiFi's office...

Alan:

I'm a news reporter here in D.C., and I bounced your release off Feinstein's office.

Her contention is that as long as a gun is unloaded, or in a locked container, it can be carried within 1,000 feet of school grounds.

Can you speak to her remark? Presumably, if she is correct, it seems unlikely that most gunowners have run afoul of the Gun-Free School Zones law. Or, if they have, it seems it would have been simple for them to have avoided breaking the law, simply by unloading their gun or putting it in a locked container.

An emailed reply, either from you or your principals, is preferable.

Thanks ahead for your help.

Best --

Dana Wilkie

Here is Alan Korwin's reply to the reporter:

Dana,

Thanks for your note. There are narrow exceptions, as I pointed out, and the law itself is posted on my site and linked from the news release.

A proper CCW license is an exemption, leaving only 99% of the public (on national average) at risk. The idea that a government permit exempts you from arrest for exercise of a right is, well, you pick an adjective. Can you imagine a similar license requirement for, say, writing editorials? Why would an honest reporter object?

An unloaded gun in a locked container cannot be considered "bearing arms" in any normal sense, and it too is one of the very narrow exceptions. If you locked up your unloaded gun on the way home from a purchase you would be exempt. Hunters "enjoy" the same exemption.

The anti-rights advocates like Sen. Feinstein see this as the "decommissioning" exemption. If a gun is locked, or unloaded, disassembled (as in D.C. or National Parks), or otherwise inaccessible or unusable, it is legal. Any effort that makes the gun usable subjects you to immediate arrest. That is the "fair" allowance Feinstein's office is comfortable with. It represents a nearly total abrogation of rights. Transporting a firearm and bearing arms are substantly different things.

Carry or even possession for personal safety without a license is forbidden under current law. Any sort of unlocked carry is a violation. Loaded carry is a violation. I don't see an exception even for possession at a shooting range within the ban zone. Mens rea is not an issue. Col. Jeff Cooper makes a telling point that sheds light, saying, "A gun that's 'safe' isn't worth anything." This is what, under the onion's layers, Feinstein supports.

Any act of legal self defense against a mortal or other felony assault is a five-year federal crime under the law, if you're within the ubiquitous gun-free zones. It's actually a pretty clever way to achieve a ban, without having to clearly label it as such.

Apologies if I wasn't more clear. This law's contempt for 2A rights violates the oath of office and ought to be grounds for removal IMHO, but then, I'm a moderate. Please forward these remarks to your contact, and I would appreciate seeing any reply you get.

I will be out of town for the next five days, and will reply to any further inquiries then.

Alan.

--
Alan Korwin
BLOOMFIELD PRESS
"We publish the gun laws."
4718 E. Cactus #440
Phoenix, AZ 85032
602-996-4020 Phone
602-494-0679 FAX
1-800-707-4020 Orders
www.gunlaws.com
[email protected]

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohio allows for you to pass through a school zone armed if you have a CCW and meet with the federal restrictions.  Ohio (RC2923.126B) gives the state law and refers to Federal transport law(18USC922(q)(2)(B) which spells out the exemptions including a states CCW when that state checks a persons background.

So in Ohio I can pass through with no problems as of now.  If I'm going to a function at the school I would have to lock the firearm in a container (unloaded).  Not a lawyer Joe
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
joecav,
If you'll read the following quotes, you'll see he's already mentioned the CCW provision.  I think the main point he's making is that this gun free school zone law is effectively BANNING the 2nd Amendment for those who do not have a CCW or whose states don't have a CCW program at all.....and that equates to roughly 99% of the firearms owners in America.   It's a legal loop hole that circumvents the 2nd Amendment rights of citizens in metropolitan areas.

"So, if you're one of the many Arizona citizens who don't have a CCW (only about 70,000 do), if you pass through one of these zones... you're a felon."

And:

"A proper CCW license is an exemption, leaving only 99% of the public (on national average) at risk."

EDIT*** My question is: is this usurpation of the 2nd Amendment still in effect or has it been overturned/modified in the 1995 US v Lopez decision?  If so, what's the "new" law?  I don't want to be in violation, but I don't want to get a CCW either (I live in the Phoenix area too).  Can someone give me a synopsis of the current ruling?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
joecav,
If you'll read the following quotes, you'll see he's already mentioned the CCW provision.  I think the main point he's making is that this gun free school zone law is effectively BANNING the 2nd Amendment for those who do not have a CCW or whose states don't have a CCW program at all.....and that equates to roughly 99% of the firearms owners in America.   It's a legal loop hole that circumvents the 2nd Amendment rights of citizens in metropolitan areas.

"So, if you're one of the many Arizona citizens who don't have a CCW (only about 70,000 do), if you pass through one of these zones... you're a felon."

And:

"A proper CCW license is an exemption, leaving only 99% of the public (on national average) at risk."

EDIT*** My question is: is this usurpation of the 2nd Amendment still in effect or has it been overturned/modified in the 1995 US v Lopez decision?  If so, what's the "new" law?  I don't want to be in violation, but I don't want to get a CCW either (I live in the Phoenix area too).  Can someone give me a synopsis of the current ruling?  Thanks.

US Marshals are standing by at every school to arrest you for this.......
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Reno PD cop stop me while I was loading up my guns to go to the range. It was in 1995 or so and the law was new. He told me that he could arrest me for having "that many guns" and being near the school. I lived directly across the street and parked on the walk right by the school. I asked him if there was an exemption for living within the school area and he didn't think so.

I asked him why he didn't go ahead and take me in? He said "too much paperwork" and drove off.

Silly law, not enforceable, waste of taxpeyer time and money to pass it. You'd think DIFI would have better things to do with her time. Somebody should arrest her for crimes against the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

PS: I lived in Tempe for 9 years as well. I never paid much attention to it. I used to carry on ASU property all the time, even before I joined ASU PD.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever

FREE
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Whatever

pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/8250177/112087937.jpg

FREE

Well, you see, your firearm doesn't look like the one on the sign, so its all good
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I see a problem. I live within 500 feet of the school. My house was here first. They can go fuck dem selfs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top