Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:07:57 PM EDT
I sold a rifle to a guy in WA state.  The way I understand it, I can ship it directly to his FFL using UPS or Fed Ex, correct?  He is sending me a copy signed in ink.  I was planning on double checking it on the ATF site to make sure it's valid before shipping as well.  

Is my info correct?  I don't want to get in any trouble.  Thanks in advance.......
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
pretty much it........although he doesn't have to send you his FFL, it's always a nice to have for your record........I would make sure that when you send the rifle, to go to the UPS hub, and insure it, people have been getting a hard time trying to ship from MAIL BOXES ETC.

ship in a plain undescriped box, don't write firearm or gun on the box, if you are sending it in a gun case, use carboard to wrap the case, that way it isn't identifable as a guncase, which could come up "missing".......... and make sure that you send it as ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

I sent 3 rifles to FFLs using UPS and have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You can also mail the rifle if you wish.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd mail it, USPS insured.  Fedex or UPS will cost a fortune.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, how about this one.

A father in Virginia wants to mail a shotgun to his son in college in Montana.
Son is the legal owner of the shotgun.

Father went to the Post Office and the guy there says they can't do it. Another postal employee calls a friend of his at home who is a FFL and he retracts and says yes but he needs a form filled out first, he thinks...???

What a bunch of dopes!

Nobody in the post Office could even find out how to ship a firearm.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, how about this one.

A father in Virginia wants to mail a shotgun to his son in college in Montana.
Son is the legal owner of the shotgun.

Father went to the Post Office and the guy there says they can't do it. Another postal employee calls a friend of his at home who is a FFL and he retracts and says yes but he needs a form filled out first, he thinks...???

What a bunch of dopes!

Nobody in the post Office could even find out how to ship a firearm.

It may have been for the wrong reason, but the first postal clerk was correct.

The shotgun is being transferred between states and the recipient must be an FFL.  Ownership doesn't matter as far as BATF is concerned.  It is possession that counts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#6]
From ATF

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From ATF

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

That is true, but he was not shipping to himself.  He was shipping to his son.  He can not act as his son's agent in this case.  It is still an interstate transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top