Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2001 5:52:03 AM EDT
The military may be transferring me to California and I see a lot on this board about California as hostile to Assault Rifle owners. Can I import my weapons as a new resident? What are the registration requirements? What other ownership restrictions exist?

If this transfer goes through (and I do have some choice) its going to be a real culture shock going from gun friendly Virginia to a real anti state.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Hostile is an understatment.

I regret to inform you that there is no way you can legally bring an AR-15 into the Occupied California Republic.

I recommend that you put your AR into storage in Virginia.

Many people in CA, like myself, are very gun-friendly.

You were smart to ask.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Does your base allow/require storage of personal weapons? There should be some type of exemption for military personnel. NY has several types of exemptions for active military personal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Your base is Federal property, it's technically not in Kalifornia.

IF you can store on base, you might have them on a technicality.  Personally, I'd store them in VA or NV.

Or maybe disassemble them.  W/out the pistol grip, they are legal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It has been reported that military personnel transferring into California may bring AW's into the state if they take them directly to the base and that they do not leave the base while you are here.  Contact the Cal DOJ Firearms unit [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html[/url] for [b]good[/b] information on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a reminder....they are NOT legal in California without the pistol grip, the law has been changed and is not based on offending features anymore. All the people who removed the pistol grips were allowed to add them and register during a sort of amnesty period. But from then on, any pistol or rifle NAMED on the list is banned, period.....pistol grip or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone thanks for your comments. I did follow the "link" provided by Big Bear and Dave G sendng the California DOJ Firearms Branch an email outlining my situation.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if I would be considered a temporary resident and not subject to California's AR ban just as someone transporting an AR15 from 1 state to another. If I transfer I would retain my VA Drivers License, Vehicle Registrations, Voter Registration, and remain a Virginia Tax Payer.

Its my understanding that each state honors the right of citizens of other states to transport weapons through their state while in transit. In my case it would take me 3 years to "transit (do a U turn)" California and head back to "Old Virginee"

Thanks again for all the comments

Bladerunner
LTC US Army
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of people are you electing there in CA???  Just joking, I know the kind of people because I just recently moved to NYC. And boy is it CRAZY here.  Since I am not rich or famous, friends with the Mayor, or buddy buddy with the UNELECTED police commissioner that approves requests to own a gun, I will probably never see one here in NYC.  Seriously, please get active.  What is happening in the US is scary.  So many people are apathetic or mislead by the media and left-wing politicians that peddle their flawed messages with hype and sensationalism.  Get the FACTS, GET ACTIVE. Here is a link (you may have seen this)that provides a speech from C. Heston.  Now you may or may not like the NRA but the speech is moving.  Please read and think about it.  To the LTC in the army, please instill in your troops the precious power they have in the vote.  They can make a difference.  I just left active duty (Navy LT) for grad school and I wish I would have pushed voting more in my shops.
Here is the link: http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/Charlton_Heston_speech.html

Take care, be kind, be responsible, be informed, and be safe.

Originally Posted By California Kid:
Hostile is an understatment.

I regret to inform you that there is no way you can legally bring an AR-15 into the Occupied California Republic.

I recommend that you put your AR into storage in Virginia.

Many people in CA, like myself, are very gun-friendly.

You were smart to ask.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Bladerunner,

If you get a reply from California DOJ on your situation, please post the information.

I am guessing that you are out of luck, but it would be interesting to know how CA DOJ views your situtuation.

Unless it is going to really set you back in your career, I recommend against moving to CA.  

Just to set the tone, CA does not have equivalent 2nd Amendment language in its State Constitution (one of five states).  CA has been building on the anti platform since statehood.

Good Luck!

cedric
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Go AWOL!! Just kidding. You should be legal keeping the weapon in the armory. Check with the base MP's. I'm sure you're not the first.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I hadn't considered the possible legality of keeping it on base.  However, a person who did that would not be able to use an AR anywhere off base without risking harassment or confiscation of an unregistered "AW".
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm wondering if anyone has ever turned down a transfer to California, citing the inability to bring in personal "assault rifles"?  Occasionally reading a thread like this provides a good reminder why I will never relocate to California.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
How about going to your current base chaplin and tell him that the transfer would cause severe mental anguish being seperated from your AW.
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to correct Troy's error is stating that an HK91 can be brought into/bought in California sans pistol-grip.  The HK91/93/94/PSG1 are named AWs under RR89, and illegal to possess unless you owned them before 6-1-89 and registered them before 3-31-92.  The clones and HK SR9/9T/9TC are subject to SB23 and can be possessed if the have no offending SB23 characteristics.  The situation regarding the "Series" AWs, ARs/AKs, is not definite at the moment due to the CalSupCourt decision from a couple of weeks ago.  The DOJ said they will take months to interpret the court decision to see if the AR/AK "Series" firearms are now only subject to SB23.  If the DOJ says they are only SB23 firearms (and that might mean only new names that aren't on their expanded Series list) you might be able to have a pistol-gripless/flashhiderless AR clone) at some point you still couldn't use them in an SB23 config as it's a little too late to register them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2001 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The military may be transferring me to California and I see a lot on this board about California as hostile to Assault Rifle owners. Can I import my weapons as a new resident? What are the registration requirements? What other ownership restrictions exist?

If this transfer goes through (and I do have some choice) its going to be a real culture shock going from gun friendly Virginia to a real anti state.

Thanks
View Quote

I could provide a good, loving home in Alabama for your rifle while you're in PRK. It will be regularly fed and well cared for. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Been there, done that.

I sent a letter to the Kalifornication DOJ asking about the same thing.

I had orders to Kalifornication, I wanted to bring my AR15's with me.

I asked if I could bring them into the state as part of my move and store them in the base armory.

The reply I recieved stated:

Kalifornication defined assault weapons.... Illegal...bla bla bla...

You can transport them into the state of Kalifornication with your household goods shipment and store them in the base armory PROVIDING that:
You are not a rezident of the state of Kalifornication.
It is allowed by the military installation commander.
It can not leave the base unless under a permanent move out of the state under orders.

You may want to send your own letter to the KDOJ and ask.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm active-duty Army, and was looking up the Army regulations concerning my own privately owned weapons.  

Army Regulation 190-11, [u]Physical Security of Arms, Ammunition, and Explosives[/u], dated 12 February 1998, is the regulation that governs this issue.  

The entire chapter outlining personal weapons is kind of long, so I've only posted the pertinent part:

[b]4.5 [u]Privately-owned weapons and ammunition[/u][/b]

b. Personnel keeping or storing privately owned arms and ammunition (including authorized war trophies) on military installation will--

[b](1) Comply with local regulations and local and State laws on ownership, possession, registration, off-post transport, and use.[/b]
View Quote

Here's the website with the regulation, but I'm not sure if you can access it outside of a .mil domain:

[url]http://books.usapa.belvoir.army.mil/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/R190_11/CCONTENTS[/url]

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top