Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 9:06:24 PM EDT
Wether or not I am eligible to own a firearm.

About 4 years ago I got a domestic disorderly conduct charge for trying to "intimidate or coerce violence" on my father in an argument.

I have a misdemeanor domestic disorderly conduct.

I know Federal law says that it isnt domestic violence if it is between a child against his parents.  

Federal law says that is has to be both a State crime and a Federal crime to be inelgible to own a firearm.

If I call the PD and ask them wether the federal domestic violence gun ban applies to me,  will they be able to do a "records check" to see if I am eligible?

I have never had a lawyer for anything,  and I dont want to have to get one if I dont have to.  Not even for expungement,  especially if I dont have to.  I should be able to get a definitive yes or no answer from an official source,  I am not trying to get exonerated from a crime.  Im only looking for a clarification on the definition of the law as it applies to me.

Or maybe someone here can answer me here.

EDIT:  I think I am going to write a letter to my local ATF satellite office.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a liberal PD they may lie and say no.  I think you'll be ok but I'm not 100%
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't you go over this before
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you expect them to provide free legal services?

Lawyer up.

ETA - I miss Buddy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is HKS really RIT?  HMMMM?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#5]
EDIT: I think I am going to write a letter to my local ATF satellite office.

That will not get you reliable legal advice.  It might get you on somebody's list.

Nor will posting to this or any other forum get you reliable legal advice.

What you have is a legal problem.  Lawyers handle legal problems.  

When you hire a lawyer, that lawyer has a duty to you - and only to you - to explain the law.  He or she does not have a loyalty to thier bosses at the BATFE, and are not high-school students or gun-store clerks trying to appear knowledgeable for the benefit of 650 anonymous persons on some forum someplace.

Only a lawyer you have retained has a duty to stand behind what they tell you.  I doubt the BATFE agent or anyone at this forum will show up in court to stand behind what they tell you. To make this more meaningful, lawyers also (usually) carry malpractice insurance, so if they give you bad advice and you get into trouble, you have some meaningful recourse.

Go hire a lawyer, and pay him or her for his or her professional services.  Anything else is just bull-shit you heard someplace, and it would be very, very stupid to rely on bull-shit you heard someplace.

PeteG

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to buy a gun and find out
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wether or not I am eligible to own a firearm.

About 4 years ago I got a domestic disorderly conduct charge for trying to "intimidate or coerce violence" on my father in an argument.

I have a misdemeanor domestic disorderly conduct.

I know Federal law says that it isnt domestic violence if it is between a child against his parents.  

Federal law says that is has to be both a State crime and a Federal crime to be inelgible to own a firearm.

If I call the PD and ask them wether the federal domestic violence gun ban applies to me,  will they be able to do a "records check" to see if I am eligible?

I have never had a lawyer for anything,  and I dont want to have to get one if I dont have to.  Not even for expungement,  especially if I dont have to.  I should be able to get a definitive yes or no answer from an official source,  I am not trying to get exonerated from a crime.  Im only looking for a clarification on the definition of the law as it applies to me.

Or maybe someone here can answer me here.

EDIT:  I think I am going to write a letter to my local ATF satellite office.

We already answered you in your other thread and you didn't like the answers we gave you then.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What you have is a legal problem.  Lawyers handle legal problems.  

When you hire a lawyer, that lawyer has a duty to you - and only to you - to explain the law.  He or she does not have a loyalty to thier bosses at the BATFE, and are not high-school students or gun-store clerks trying to appear knowledgeable for the benefit of 650 anonymous persons on some forum someplace.

Only a lawyer you have retained has a duty to stand behind what they tell you.  I doubt the BATFE agent or anyone at this forum will show up in court to stand behind what they tell you. To make this more meaningful, lawyers also (usually) carry malpractice insurance, so if they give you bad advice and you get into trouble, you have some meaningful recourse.

Go hire a lawyer, and pay him or her for his or her professional services.  Anything else is just bull-shit you heard someplace, and it would be very, very stupid to rely on bull-shit you heard someplace.

Well said.

One problem lawyers have though is that, even with the duties to represent, advocate for, and forever hold the confidences of a client, clients still do not tell their attorneys the truth.
That said, I suspect there may be more to this story, but I don't really care, because as I recall, someone in the prior thread offered to do exactly what this poster is looking for:
Originally Posted By pieceofstink (top post, page 2.)

Rit-still waiting for your full name, DOB and SSN. I have a program that can run you, and I will let you know right here and now, in front of everybody, if you can legally own a gun.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, good catch
He's the "There's lots of reasons people use suicide bombs" guy
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=371458&page=1

OMG, that's some crazy shit!
Is his account locked or what?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUSTED.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, so he hasn't been here since the end of August.  What's his new troll account?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Beat me too it
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know.
Tell them you are going to buy an M249 from FN.
Then tell them what social class they would belong to in your ideal society.

Link for those not in the know
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#16]
+2 on hiring a liar um I mean lawyer
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
You sound like a real winner or real loser but in any case, it seems like you may have done some homework (I know I looked a little at the threads) and might know the Fed rules, but the ones that really count for you are the STATE laws.  Why don't you check with the State authorities  (and in response to your other threads) SCHMUCK?

Local PDs are decent references on traffic laws and some criminal lwas but when you get into the minutiae of laws they don't usually enforce you are unlikely to get a totally accurate answer.  You ask me a question on something I've worked with for 30 years and you can go to the bank with the answer, you ask something here and you can bet that the answer is going to be varied.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#18]
See now that's helpful and only a little insulting. Much better. Ask around to see what attorenys shooting activists or are members of a local gun club. That's the guy to have help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#19]
IM  sent
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#20]
double post
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You sound like a real winner or real loser but in any case[...]

Who sounds like what?  Pfft... no need to throw insults and cast  judgements on someone you don't even know.  Someone who commits such a "domestic misdemeanor" is hardly comparible to the other "scum of society" that's probably lurking around your neighborhood now...

Plenty of good hearted, average citizens are charged with "CPS child abuse" (for disciplining their children), and domestic violence misdemeanors for having even just a VERBAL arguement with their spouse... that's pathetic in my opinion, especially to cast such uninformed judgement as you did.

Help, or don't.  Don't spew forth unintelligible personal insults.

I had a domestic violence dispute with my brother some years ago and thought it might prohibit my ability to buy an AR, charged with a misdemeanor. So... I bought a lower online, had it shipped to an FFL, had my background check done, and walked out with my lower... I go for just trying it. Much cheaper then a lawyer, oftentimes dealers will conduct a background check for you beforehand if you are a very interested buyer at no cost, or will charge a small 10-20$ fee for doing so, again, much cheaper then a lawyer. I would suggest saving a lawyer for only if you're choosing to fight for your right to own a firearm, if you were denied such.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I locked that guy's account a couple of months ago ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top