Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2001 12:27:07 PM EDT
I am 19 and am about to purchase a 9mm AR-15, I need a Pistol Cal. weapon so I can shoot at any of the ranges within 20 miles of my house, so a rifle is out of the question.  However, I was reading some crap on the ATF website about a law which states that an FFL dealer can't sell handguns or ammunition "other than for a rifle or a shotgun" to someone under 21.  Does this mean I am screwed and can own the gun, but I can't buy ammo for it since 9mm is considered to be handgun ammunition?
Jk
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can prove that the ammo is going to be used in a rifle, you shouldn't have a problem buying it. However, I was under the impression that the AR-15 was an "Assult Weapon", and, at least here in MN, you must be 21 to buy it from an FFL, and 18 to do a person to person. Basically that it has the same rules as a handgun. And of course you can't have someone buy it from an FFL for you and then buy it off of them, that is a straw buying, which is illegal. If, however, your parents buy it with the intent to give or sell it to you, then it is OK. Man, I just love being 19. I'll be 20 soon thought, and then 21........YIKES!!!!!!!! I just realized I won't be a teen much longer!!!! OH MY GOD!!! I better start looking into 401K plans and retirement nesteggs. I'm going to be OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as it being an "Assault Rifle", legally it will be a post ban totally legal gun that falls within the restrictions of a rifle, ie 16"+ bbl etc.
I reread the law and it said the dealer must be convinced it is for a rifle, so to make things easy I may just take a data sheet with me when I purchase ammo, that contains things like my serial number, manufacturer, and general information about the gun to make sure the FFL knows what I'll be using it for.
Jk
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
as far as getting the ammo when they ask u if its gonna be used in a rifle or a pistol tell a a rifle as long as its gonna be used in a rifle they can sell u "handgun ammo"
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
there is ammo that can be used in both rifles and pistols AKA universal ammo -- 9mm, 45acp, 44mag, 357mag, 22lr, 40cal,

there is really very little pistol ONLY ammo -- 32acp, 380, 25, 38 super, 32mag

just tell the dealer its for a marlin camp carbine in 9mm OR a ruger police carbine
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the previous posts are good advice, but buy yourself a Dillon reloader.  You will save yourself time, money, and the hassle.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If you buy the ammo at the range you really should not have a problem since you are going to shoot it there anyways. When my Brother went one of the chains around here to buy .45 ammo they guy asked him what was it for and he said it was for a Glock. The Salesman said he cant sell him pistol ammo. My brother is 20. The guy asked my brother what was the .45 ammo for again and my brother said his rifle and the guy sold him 2 boxes of ammo.

Six
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice everybody. I just purchased my 9mm, and I should be able to purchase ammo just fine it seems.

Jk
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Man - when I was 19 I didn't have enough money to buy TOILETPAPER, let alone a gun.  

Congradulations, boy.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't It just suck being 19 or 20 and not legally of age to buy a handgun or handgun ammo?  And don't even get me started on beer.  I guess we are just not responsible enough yet.[>:/] I HATE IT. Oh well, 6 more months.[:)]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The Epilouge to the story:

I have a 9mm paperweight.

The store I went to today refused to sell me ammunition in spite of my telling them what type of firearms it is for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
yah, they just ask if its fir a pistol if its .22. i guess every rifle round commonly sold is used in some kind of pistol, and the same with most pistol rounds, this is udder BS
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't you have a big brother or friends over 21?  Have them order the ammo over the net for you, then you pay them back (but dont pay for the initial purchase, they dont like it if the credit card name and the buyer's name dont match).  Non-FFLs are not limited on who they can sell ammo to, while FFLs are.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Another phone call to the ATF further confirmed that FFLs can legally sell me 9mm. They are mailing me an official statement on an ATF letterhead so I have something to show the dealers in question.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Or drink.  (legally[:D])  [beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top