Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2001 8:26:16 AM EDT
I live in TX and was kicking around the idea of getting a BAR parts kit from Sarco Inc (its all the parts minus the receiver).  As far as i know, this would not be an issue as the government considers the receiver as the actual gun.  

Okay, now lets say i'm lucky enough to find a working BAR receiver for sale that was made post 1950 (would not apply as C&R).  Even if I made it a semi auto or single shot, the ATF would still see it as a MG, right? ("once a MG always a MG") Now assuming they consider it a MG, what hoops would i have to jump through to legally take ownership of it (if possible)?  Also, would this question give a different answer if the receiver was purchased IN state? I'm open to any comments or suggestions.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's registered as a machinegun, and is transferrable, you just have to through the rigamarole of any other MG purchase - Form 4, 2 sets of fingerprints, 2 photos, $200 check to ATF, and get your sheriff to sign off that you're not a criminal.  3-4 months later, you get your full auto BAR receiver and can assemble the parts kit to it, slap in a mag and dazzle everyone at the range.

If it's not transferrable, you can't have it.  Buy a legal semi-auto BAR from Ohio Ordnance instead.

If you're a type 07 FFL (manufacturer) with a Class 2 SOT, you can make your own full auto receiver and make that parts kit into a post-86 dealer sample MG.

If you can find approved semi-auto plans, you could conceivably machine your own semi-auto receiver to assemble a parts kit on - but the only semi-auto BAR receiver I know of is from Ohio Ordnance, and they don't sell plans or receivers, just completed semi-auto rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top