Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2001 5:27:17 PM EDT
I have a preban Colt R6551 rifle and I would like to put a collapsible stock on it along with a 16 inch upper with a bayo lug. Is it legal for me to do this?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that If you own a true pre-ban that you can do pretty much anything you want to it that any other pre-ban had. There are lots of other guys on here that know lots more then I do so Id wait and  see what they say also.

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Listen2,

Depending on New York Law and that your Colt AR15 is a preban.  You can change the upper and change the stock with no problems.  To verify that your Colt AR15 is a preban check the following site.
[url}http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
there's been some discussion here that it still needed to be in assault weapon configuration  at some time before the '94 ban.it's my understanding that some models of colts [b](i know nothing about colt's and don't pretend to)[/b]were sold before the ban as target rifles, that is without any evil features i.e. no bayo lug ,flash hider or folding stock.from what i've read here these would not be concider grandfathered AW.mmk
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have verified it and are sure it's a preban, it's legal to make the changes you've described. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again, my rifle was made prior to 1991 as a complete firearm.  When I'm done changing the upper and stock, I'll post the pics for all to see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top