Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2001 5:06:19 PM EDT
Would registering a lower as a pistol or a SBR make it legal to put preban features on it, or does the excemption apply only to full auto weapons?

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2001 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
"Lower"- no, no, no.

"new stripped receiver"- yes.  As in a receiver, new (virgin receiver), never been built into anything or had a stock attatched.  You need to document it was a stripped rec. by getting letter from factory that it was a stripped rec and never built into a rifle.  But usually if you tell factory you building pistol, they frown on this.  Asked one manufacturer and they said that their stripped rec. "needs to built into rifle"...and that's what they were ment for.  Not going to mention who.

It can be registered as a pistol, but to built it into a pistol is a totally different subject.  The AR pistols you see in shotgun news (kits) are....illegal, if it was built onto a receiver.  As a parts kit, it's legal.

Feds made some evil features on pistols illegal.  Look at the Professional Ordance Carbon 15 pistol.  That's POST ban legal.  Look at the pre ban AR pistols.  Note the differences.

Post ban can not have more then two(if I get all of them) or it's called an Assult Weopon, and it's a no no
* no forward handguard
* weight less then 50 oz
* no threaded barrel or flash hider
* can't be copy of full auto version
* detachable mag outside grip
and more, but I don't have list w/ me right now

If you want a (post ban) AR pistol, the Carbon 15 and some others are the only way to go.  Or go buy a pre ban for 1500-$2000.  That's the going price for a Patriot pre ban.

Registering it as a pistol.  Noticing you're from WA, this only applies (if I understand right) on the form that you fill out for pistols in WA (state level).  The federal (yellow) form it gets listed as a part and pistol is checked.  Usually it's the state that requires things to be registered if it's a pistol....that's my understanding.

Link Posted: 2/17/2001 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Ignore this test post.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I think subguns.com has a summary of the sbr/aow laws.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
oh yeah remeber thos handgaurds are considered a "evil" feture also
since a ar 15 style recevor has a magazine that loads outside the grip you really cant have that much on it and as far as i know if you fiel a form 1 its legel to add all the stuff you want cuz its not a AW its a SBR but FIRST WRITE TO BATF!! it will save you a lot of money/possible jail time
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
This is directly from the BATF's FAQ:

(O6) If an NFA firearm has 2 or more of the features specified in the law for semiautomatic assault weapons, will the firearm be regulated under both statutes?
Any firearm that falls within the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" and the NFA definition of "firearm" is subject to both laws.

So... You can make a post ban SBR, but that doesn't mean you can put a collapsing stock, flash hider, etc on it.   [:(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top