Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2001 7:28:27 PM EDT
I am interested in buying a tactical shotgun.  I have been looking around and I see some 14 inch barrel guns. They require a class III and a form 4.  

My questions are:
Are there pre-ban shotguns?
What features make them different?
What is the class III?
Is it on file forever or just during the background check?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
the "assault weapon ban" applies to semi auto shotguns of more than 5 rounds capicity. a pre-ban semi-auto shotgun could have both a pistol grip and a magazine capacity of more than 5 rnds. post could have one or the other (and, suprisingly, a folding stock with the p-grip!). sure there are pre-bans, but that has nothing to do with barrel length. shotguns must have an overall length of 27" (off the top of my head), and a min. barrel length of 18". unless they are registered as a short barreled weapon or an "any other weapon" (aow must have NEVER been assembled as a weapon with a stock, and has no stock.- only a 5$ tax.)

to TRANSFER an sbs you need a form 4.
to MAKE an sbs from an existing weapon ,or otherwise, you need a form 1.
you pay a $200 tax on either.
you will also be finger printed, and need the signature of a "chief law enforcement officer".
the fbi will preform a SEARCHING background check on you.
the process can take 30 to 180 days.

class 3 refers either to restricted weapons in general OR the liscensing of the dealer who must handle your transfer.

the paper work is on file as long as you own the weapon. maybe forever.

i have one.[url]classthreesupply.com/page10.html[/url] what were you interested in getting?[:D][shotgun]

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
aow must have NEVER been assembled as a weapon with a stock, and has no stock.- only a 5$ tax
View Quote

AOW is $5 to TRANSFER..... $200 to register I believe....

you will also be finger printed, and need the signature of a "chief law enforcement officer
View Quote

There is another way to file a form 1 without these. IF you are an officer in an incorporation, no prints, pictures OR CLEO signature is required.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
aow must have NEVER been assembled as a weapon with a stock, and has no stock.- only a 5$ tax
View Quote

AOW is $5 to TRANSFER..... $200 to register I believe....

[red]you may be right.[/red]

you will also be finger printed, and need the signature of a "chief law enforcement officer
View Quote

There is another way to file a form 1 without these. IF you are an officer in an incorporation, no prints, pictures OR CLEO signature is required.

View Quote

yeah, corporations. i didn't want to blast him with too many angles. i figured some kind soul would come and sweep up. i was right! [:D]

yep, your right: form 1 -$200.[url]www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qanda.html[/url] sec.m-3

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
tax=registration fee
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Gloftoe:  the point they were trying to make is that while an AOW transfers on a $5 tax, it's a $200 making tax if you make one yourself on a Form 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top