Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 6:18:33 AM EDT
How much trouble could an individual be in if they had a 14.5" barrel w/ the 2.5" Phantom on it non-registered SBR,) but not [i]permanently[/i] affixed?  How about the same suppressor on a post ban weapon?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are caught?  Loss of the right to own firearms forever.  Maybe a Big fine.  Maybe prison time to include duty as butt boy for a big sweaty guy named Bubba.

By the way, on a standard 14.5 inch AR15/M16/M4 barrel, with a flash suppressor lock washer, crush washer or peel washer, the Phantom makes the barrel just over the legal 16 inches at about 16.1 or 16.2 inches.  The Phantom measures about 2.25 inches.  It's not 14.5 + 2.25.  The threaded portion of the barrel behind the muzzle eats up a bit of the flash suppressor's length.

Send it to Kurt and have it pinned and welded on for about $50+/-
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ooh, the Bubba image sounds not too fun.  Worse, the loss of my right to own my Safe full of toys.  I e-mailed Kurt a little while ago to ask pretty much exactly that.  Now, does the FS on a post-ban weapon carry the same punishments?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
becouse its not perminaly attached it woudlnt factor into the pver all lenghth hence it would still be a SBR
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen a permanently attached Phantom, only a Vortex on a 14.5".  How long is the Vortex?  I know this isn't the right forum to ask this, but is one truly better than the other?  I didn't think the Vortex had to be "timed" like the Phantom does.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it really matter? If they came to your house it sure as hell wouldn't be because your barrel was too short. And if it was the reason then it still doesn't matter as that means guns have been outlawed. Same thing at the range. I am not advocating breaking the law, but I seriously doubt anyone would even ever ask if your thing on the end is opinned and welded. If you are that concerned about it then sell it ( if you have one that is ) and buy a post ban and be like all us wimps here in CA.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll definitely agree w/ the "Does it really matter?" question, but was just curious as to the letter of the silly law & what punishment(s) other than maybe just a simple "Don't you know that's illegal?" type verbal reprimand.  I guess I was just being naive.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the Phantom on one of my other uppers, but have no experience w/ the Vortex.  Why didn't you pick the Vortex for your permanent installation, & how is your Phantom permanently attached?  Who did it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does it really matter?
View Quote

Only if you get caught.

If they came to your house it sure as hell wouldn't be because your barrel was too short.
View Quote

It might be to return the gun that was stolen and recovered, taken from the scene of an accident on the way back from the range, "borrowed" by a family member, etc.  That's how it will happen.

And if it was the reason then it still doesn't matter as that means guns have been outlawed. Same thing at the range. I am not advocating breaking the law, but I seriously doubt anyone would even ever ask if your thing on the end is opinned and welded. If you are that concerned about it then sell it ( if you have one that is ) and buy a post ban and be like all us wimps here in CA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I would dismount the upper right away and remount it when the brake has been welded. An upper receiver isn't a firearm. Therefore, an SBR upper by itself shouldn't be illegal ? Correct me if I'm wrong. The lower is just that a lower, not an SBR. Dismount the upper and have the brake welded and pinned.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you could be wrong. I posted this somewhere else, but a court of appeals found that having a complete and legal AR rifle in the (edited, see below)  and an undersized upper in the parts bin is having a complete illegal rifle, because the two COULD be placed together without too much time and effort.
Other than the obvious BS of this decision-- since you could strangle your kids in their sleep, with your hands, without a lot of time and effort, shouldn't you be found guilty of murdering them and sentenced to death?

Edited---
UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. Jason Christopher KENT, Defendant-Appellant.

No. 97-8425.

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT

175 F.3d 870; 1999 U.S. App. LEXIS 8413; 12 Fla. L. Weekly Fed. C 777

May 4, 1999, Decided

Sorry, the legal rifle was in the apartment and the short upper was also in the apartment. The court found that it was a small apartment so the two were close. Left unsaid is whether closeness now equals oneness in a legal sense.
The defense attorney said the upper was in a parts box, but the court found that the term 'parts box' meant only a small plastic part box (sounds like one you buy for screws at the hardware store). They did admit that there was another large box with parts in it, but since the short upper was not in the photos taken of the box, they seem to have decided it was not in the box at the time of the search.

Okay, followed back a cite trail in the case, and it looks like the law is 'if a part is nearby, and can be assembled by a trained and highly practiced ATF agent on video tape (since doing it fast is hard and he may screw up in court doing it live--no telling how many times it takes him to do it fast once on tape), then it is treated as an assembled illegal gun for no actual statutory reason at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top