Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 6:05:15 PM EDT
I am wondering if anyone has been denied purchase of a firearm with the new instant check and had to reeverse the decision. What was necessary to do this and how long did it take?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]
On a tangent....

I was put on 'Perm delay' after REFUSING to pick 'Black'..I have ALWAYS said American, and one lady DEMANDED Black/White/Other...

I refused, and the dealer was GREAT, he was more pised than I was...

I have noticed SINCE Mr Bush (coincidence??) I am back on instant approve....

and yes, I am TODAY, TOMORROW, and ALWAYS, AMERICAN.......

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am one of those 470,000 "felons" that was denied a gun purchase under the NICS law....
View Quote

I believe the term is usually "felons and other individuals".

But now I'm going to have to arrest you, Otis.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Of course, the only problem was that I was buying a shotgun 2 days after my driver's license had expired
View Quote

Interesting.  Here in Minnesota, your driver's license is still considered valid photo id for 5 years after the expirey date.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The Caucasian/White thing is not a race issue it is a general description of the person buying the item. No different than your heighth/weight/color of eyes etc.

I suspect someone wears thier genetic heritage like a chip on thier shoulder.

This would be the equivelent of a short person refusing to put thier height on the form because of discrimination against short people.  Or a 400lb person feeling abused because they had to list thier weight.

You should get refused.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been told that about the SSN as well.
Screw the feds. I don't list nothing. No problems yet.
Of course, I am going to pick up a 1100 youth for my wife on national gun day, so I may get the shaft then.
Either way, I aint gonna do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
just ran a guy through today. Gave no SS number. Did not seem to slow anything down. Took only moments to get the proceed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:

...I suspect someone wears thier genetic heritage like a chip on thier shoulder...You should get refused.
View Quote

If you're referring to CavVet, Do you not understand from his post that what he wears on his shoulder is being an American?

Where the H*** did you get the idea that he wears his 'genetic heritage' on his shoulder, David?  From his posts I've read, he's exactly the opposite.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
The Caucasian/White thing is not a race issue it is a general description of the person buying the item. No different than your heighth/weight/color of eyes etc.

I suspect someone wears thier genetic heritage like a chip on thier shoulder.

This would be the equivelent of a short person refusing to put thier height on the form because of discrimination against short people.  Or a 400lb person feeling abused because they had to list thier weight.

You should get refused.
View Quote

IF you are referring to me...hooked on phonics can work for you....1-800-ABCDEFG

I did NOT say denied..I said DELAYED...

And IF reading is a strong point, My point was, their whims must be 'OBEYED' or you WILL get delayed (accidental rhyme, no kin to Johnny Cochran).... I was not trying to make ANY attempt to correlate race to DELAY...

ALSO, FWIW, I NEVER give SSN..'THEY' already have that info on file....
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't denied but I have been delayed everytime I have purchased a weapon. I am up to around 50 purchases and I have been delayed everytime. I have never found out why.

Mike4045

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was taking the bar they do this big background check on you (like they just can't check NCIS).
Some states send the info directly to you, and you have to send it on to the bar. Having been in the service, I had to get a few states (and lots of countries, since they can't do criminal checks on other countries they make you swear, for each county, that you have been a good boy).
Anyway, there is a guy, same name as me, but 10ish years older, who is one bad dude. They sent me his records. I had to get the correct one sent (the correct answer being--no record).
Even so, and with not giving my SSN, I have not yet been delayed.
CavVet, how does that no race thing work out for you? It sounds cool. How long do they make you wait?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
when i turned 18 almost 2 years ago the damn sytem went down so i had to wait over a week to pick up my gun damn birtday 12/23
so close to christmas that and all the PRK's buying ARs before the deadline
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Happy...By law, I believe it is MAX 3 BUSINESS days for ALL delays....I STILL use American, and NEVER give SSN....

I had always heard 'Once delayed, ALWAYS delayed', but VERY shortly after GW took over, my delays were over....(music from Twilight Zone)...
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#17]
For the record, I have never provided my social security number and all of my checks (5 in the last 2 years) have been completed within 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been delayed on every purchase (12) but never denied.  The shortest delay was 3 hours but several have gone past the three day max. How can I find out what is causing me to "stick" in the system? Your help would be appreciated. I have a current CCW so I know there is no negative info on file.

P.S. I give all the info on the form.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
To add some additional info, I was denied because of a juvenile record for shoplifing. I was blindsided by this and it happened 32 years ago. I completely forgot about his and I answered all questions on the form correctly. I have been placed on "permanent Deniel" until I can show to the state police that I have "good character" or something like that. I believe this is borderline abuse.....
I have contacted an attorney and we are in the process of attemping to have the record "expunged". This record should not even be in the federal file. This is "blip" on a radar screen and I am sufereing for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top