Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2001 8:03:11 AM EDT
I was wondering if you had two driver license
like one from Indiana and another from Ohio could i legally buy guns from both state's or would this be illegal?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
i doubt that having 2 DL's is legal, just on the grounds of PRIMARY residence, but a friend of mine traded in his DL from state X, bought a gun, and when he returned, traded in license Y for license X.    [;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You most certainly cannot have 2 commercial driver's licenses from different states.  Federal law violation there.  Most states require that you surrender the out-of-state DL or deface it before issuing a new license.  You also have a potential problem with the Feds if you are fraudulently obtain an out-of-state DL for the purpose of illegally purchasing a firearm in a state other than the one in which you make your legal residence.  Then there is the perjury problem filling out the 4473 in the other state.  

Remember.  With only a few minor exceptions like running a stop sign on a militaly base, all Federal criminal law violations are felonies.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dave G, question for ya, could someone circumvent the form 4473 in state X with a carry permit from state Y ???
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Under Ohio law you can only have one drivers license or state I.D. card.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you knew the answer to that question as you typed it...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It is my understanding that you can legally cross state line (as long as the state immediatly borders your home) and purchase a rifle or shotgun,,,,NO ON HANDGUNS. So, as an Ohio resident, I can purchase in KY,WV,PA,MI,and IN.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think you knew the answer to that question as you typed it...[rolleyes]
View Quote

hey yankytrash,
thanx for pointing out the fact that i didn't type what meant to ask!!!  

i meant to ask if an out of state carry permit could be used to bypass the Federal background check for longarms!

doing two things at once...that'll learn me!  [%|]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If the longgun you wish to purchase in a bordering state is illegal in your home state, you may not purchase it no matter which form of ID you use.  You can't circumvent the 4473 issues using an ID from the bordering state without running the real risk of committing a felony.  You are swearing under penaly of perjury that the info you supplied on the form is true and correct to the best of your knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
"It is my understanding that you can legally cross state line (as long as the state immediatly borders your home) and purchase a rifle or shotgun,,,,NO ON HANDGUNS."

For a long gun, you can purchase in any state (no longer has to be bordering), as long as your purchase is legal in the state you purchase it and in your state of residence.  "No on handguns" remains; you can purchase out of state, but transfer has to be made to an ffl in your state of residence and then through the ffl in your state to you.

hanko
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
In Arkansas it's illegal to possess drivers licenses from more than 1 state. I've bought rifles in another state but had to get an FFL from a friend to buy a handgun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a question on a similar issue. I currently live in Florida, but am planning on moving to Southern Alabama. The southern tip of Alabama is pretty small, and reaching Florida or Mississippi is only a short drive. If I wanted to buy guns in Pensacola, FL or Biloxi, MS would I be able to use an Alabama liscense. Would this be possible at gun shows only or also at FFL gun shops. I only plan on buying long guns in bordering states, so it seems from the last article that this would be legal. What if the state doesn't border. Louisiana is only a little over 100 miles, Texas is less than 200 miles. Would I be able to go to gunshows in those states or only mine. I've never bought a gun at a gun show, just accessories for my current guns. I'm not sure if buying at shows outside my home state would be possible. Is this allowable. Wouldn't it be ok as long as the gun was legal in the state that I purchase in and in my home state. Would it have to be legal in states in between the two, or would placing it seperate from ammunition in a locked box allow this ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
1.Drivers lic  2.Hunting lic  3.Super comp NHRA lic
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If you reside in two states (for example, having a house in PA, but spending one weekend a month in Ohio), you would keep a driver's liscense from one of the states and if you wanted to purchase handguns in the second state, you would get a State Resident ID card.  That way, by presenting the appropriate ID, you could purchase a handgun in either state.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]
cc48510,

Someone could always go to their local DMV office prior to moving out of state and get a duplicate/replacement license, say for loosing their original.  When that person moves to a bordering state and the new state confiscates the old state's driver license, that person could simply turn in the duplicate license and keep the original for purchases in the old state.  That person would be wise to use the address on the old DL and not the NEW out of state residence when purchasing in the old state.  

I do not belive this would be legal, but at least you could buy from several states.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top