Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 7:18:27 AM EDT
I have a question as to the legality (live in SC) of finding a firearm.

Say that I am fishing in one of the local ponds, and I have a real big fish on the line... Pull it up, and it's a slightly rusted AR-15. What do I do? Can I legally keep it? Do I call the police and have them put out ad for missing gun? What if, after a set amount of days, the owner does not claim it? Can I then keep it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Finders keepers. Of course you know the risks if the gun was reported stolen.

The police would not put out an ad if you turned it in. They would sieze the rifle and it would probably disappear.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Finders keepers. Of course you know the risks if the gun was reported stolen.

The police would not put out an ad if you turned it in. They would sieze the rifle and it would probably disappear.

Well, if I ever find a firearm then, it's mine.

I'm not handing it over to the po-po if they're just gonna throw it in the evidence room or keep it for themselves. Screw that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
hey, has anyone found my ar.  i was out fishing in SC and it fell out of my boat.

i'm offering a $100 reward for it's return.  

p.s. and i'll pay shipping. --just to get it back
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hey, has anyone found my ar.  i was out fishing in SC and it fell out of my boat.

i'm offering a $100 reward for it's return.  

p.s. and i'll pay shipping. --just to get it back

Sorry, firearms lost in horrible boating accidents are never recovered.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I found a CAR barrel and a barrel vice in a pond one time. No bull shit. Cleaned up the barrel and sold it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Have Citabria here run the serial number. As of twenty minutes ago he was in front of a police netowork running a license plate, he could probably tell you if its stolen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
sure i can let you know if its stolen or not....just cant tell you personal info such as adresses and such.  IM me the serial number and brand
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't found an AR-15 in a pond or anything. This is hypothetically speaking.

Just in case I'm ever lucky enough (hahaha... yeah) to find one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
oh, ok well guess i dont have anything to run then. lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top