Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 11:49:15 AM EDT
Hi;

I have an SKS that I put into a plastic stock and have some high caps for (the non-detachables, not the AK adapter).
When I did that I took off the (rather cheesey) bayonet and nipped the lug corner off.
Now I am reading online about removing the lug completely. I tried the ATF website, but....
I'll just say it. I am a lawyer, of the civil type, and the law/ruling makes no sense to me. I can't puzzle it out. What do I have to do to the lug to be legal? Does anyone have any court case cites? Any ATF publications that explain their rules?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
When you go to the high cap mag you get ONE and ONLY one of the following features on ANY gun:

Bayo and/or Bayo lug
Grenade launcher
Threaded barrel
Flash suppressor
Folding/collapsing stock
Pistol grip stock.
Illuminated sights

You can legally have ALL these items on an SKS with the FIXED magazine. Once you go for the detachable high cap mag, 922r kicks in and you are restricted to ONE feature.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, that's what I read into too.
Now, assuming that my magazine is one, since it is not welded on, and my stock is two (black scope style, so the ATF could maybe call it a grip in their world), what is a removal of the lug? Enough so it does not work, or all metal, or leaving a nub?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can legally have ALL these items on an SKS with the FIXED magazine. Once you go for the detachable high cap mag, 922r kicks in and you are restricted to ONE feature.
View Quote

Except, since it's imported, it has to meet the 89 import ban restrictions, unless it's a pre-89.  That may restrict you from having the flash hider, bayonet lug or pistol grip without the appropriate US parts content.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top