Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 6:07:03 AM EDT
Ok, this is my worst case senario:

Kerry gets elected in November.
Either through legislation, or via executive order, a new ban is put in place.
Whats the quickest that such a ban could be made effective?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Executive Order: January 20, 2005

Legislative: Any day after election day. I think that they have sessions or informal sessions prior to the inauguration of the new President.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are worried about that I wonder how much time you give to worrying about dying?

What if you die tommorrow and have wasted time worrying about things you will not live to see?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Legislative: Any day after election day. I think that they have sessions or informal sessions prior to the inauguration of the new President.

For the 4,987,039th time, no president can do an assault weapons ban by EO
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the 4,987,039th time, no president can do an assault weapons ban by EO

I thought Bush Sr. banned the import of non sporting firearms in '90 via EO? Or is it that the pres can only ban the IMPORT of weapons, not the domestic manufacture?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are worried about that I wonder how much time you give to worrying about dying?

What if you die tommorrow and have wasted time worrying about things you will not live to see?

Uh, who said I was worried?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Curious as well, as I had heard recently that there was some kind of built in deal where Congress could still renew it by sometime in December.

Anyone heard this?

Not saying it's likely. But if there is a major landslide in the elections this year, the democrats my feel emboldened.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought Bush Sr. banned the import of non sporting firearms in '90 via EO?

No EO was involved at all; this is a common misbelief among gun owners.  In 1989 at President Bush Sr's direction, BATF re-interpreted the sporting purpose clause in the 1968 GCA to ban the imports of certain firearms

I hate to cite the Brady Campaign, but this is one of the very few instances where they've actually got their facts straight.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/faqs/?page=awb

Prior to passage of the federal assault weapons ban, the importation of certain types of assault weapons from overseas had been banned during the Reagan and George H.W. Bush Administrations. Such bans were ordered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) under the 1968 Gun Control Act, which grants the ATF the power to prevent the importation of guns which are not "particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes."

Under the Reagan Administration, the ATF blocked the importation of certain models of shotguns that were not suitable for sporting purposes. In 1989, during the George H.W. Bush Administration, the ATF expanded this list to permanently ban the importation of 43 types of semi-automatic assault rifles that were also determined not to have a sporting purpose.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, OK, change it to wondering. The message remains the same.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I am tired of all the bull-shit "Kerry can't do this by EO!!!".

Guess what kids? We have been under a national emergency for forty years. He can order whatever the hell he wants to once he is elected, that is his power in an emergency.

"Stroke of the pen, law of the land. Kinda cool."
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am tired of all the bull-shit "Kerry can't do this by EO!!!".

Guess what kids? We have been under a national emergency for forty years. He can order whatever the hell he wants to once he is elected, that is his power in an emergency.

"Stroke of the pen, law of the land. Kinda cool."

If the President can do this by EO, how come Clinton didn't?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#12]

You just found my new avatar
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, OK, change it to wondering. The message remains the same.

I'll tell you why I'm worried about this...  I'm on a tight budget.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford a new AR before January.  Not to take away from anyone else, but a black rifle is not at the top of my household's "to buy" list right now.  However, if Senator Kerry is elected, purchasing no-ban AR moves up in priority simply because it is something that I want to get before it may become illegal again...

I'm worried that there may be a possibility of an even stricter "AWB".

Hopefully, this will be a moot point and we'll have four more years of President Bush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top