Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 2:08:47 PM EDT
I need your help. I am hoping someone can outline the proper steps to gun ownership in Texas. I have read the eligibility requirements for the concealed handgun and meet all of the above. I am scheduled to take the class on October 23, 2004 and I was told that all of the proper forms would be available at that time. My question are, Do the laws apply to rifles (AR15 specific)?  I am assuming that a background check has to be performed prior to the sale, but what if I wanted to purchase and practice with the rifle before the class? Does the firearm dealer file the paperwork for investigation prior to purchase? Etc. etc. Please, if you can post as much information as possible. Thank you in advance.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The CHL is so one can carry a concealed handgun (PISTOL or REVOLVER). In Texas you don't need a CHL to carry a loaded rifle (AR15) or shotgun in your vehicle. To purchase a firearm in Texas you only need your Texas driver's license or identification card and meet all other requirements. Once you get your CHL you can use it to purchase weapons (guns) without doing an NCIS (In Texas CHL holders are exempt). Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Thank you! This is what I thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top