Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 7:00:31 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting my own ffl but really dont know if the hassle is worth it.  I mainly buy guns but here lately I have been having issues with several local dealers.  Weather it is just trying to get them order me a gun or trying to get one shipped to them.  Monday I ordered 2 guns from 2 different people out of state,  I then went to one of my local dealers to get a ffl copy and was not able to for the reason that he is opperating under someone elses liscense.  So I go to another dealer thet has done it for me in the past and find out his liscense is no good since he is "changing ownership" according to him but I later find out he got them revoked or something.   He refered me to another guy that didnt want anything to do with it.  So i finally found an ol boy who owns a pawn shop (I have known him for many years) who was willing to do it.  I sent the signed copies off and thought all was good.    

WRONG,  I found out today his FFL is expiredhave
I would like to be able to get dealer discounts and whatnot and have them shipped straight to my house.  I would like to be able to get guns for my friends at discount prices.  

Could I benefit having a liscense?  If I had one can I have the guns shipped to my house and have someone else sign for them while I am at work?  How hard is it to get one and how much do they cost?

help me out here.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
In order to get a Type 01 dealers license, you will have to be operating a legitimate business, have all the local business licenses and tax documents and must comply with local zoning laws.  Batf will not give you a license just for the convience of purchasing personal firearms.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Most states' corporations offices have web sites and FAQ's on "How to Incorporate in [state]" that allow you to download the forms you need for incorporating, filing the appropriate taxes, business licenses, etc. Most, if not all, can be filled-out and filed by individual entreprenuers without an attorney.

The ATF had a FAQ on how to get your FFL.

I'd read both of these sets of materials closely, and determine if the cost is beneficial, and then I'd draw-up a proposed budget for the next 2 years, and then add 50% to the overhead to see if I can make it float in a near-worst case scenario.  Most new businesses fail, not from lack of hard work, but from too-optomistic financial planning.

Primarily, you need a location you can hold business hours and from which you can legally (read state and local laws) do business.
It has to be a business for the purpose of making money, not just supporting your own collecting.

But, it sounds like your area needs a decent dealer, so you may have a good market.

Good luck,
Otto

ETA: On closer reading, EOD_Guy said essentially the same thing... sorry for the duplicate info, but atleast we agree.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I am working towards the goal of getting my FFL as well...  I am starting with the tools and setting up a shop and I want it to allow me to do Gunsmithing work as well as transfers.  I have been doing OK so far as I have the Bridgeport, lathe, engravers, drill press, air compressors, and blast cabinet, as well as tons of the other smaller tools all paid off.  Too bad I have a 50-hr a week day job and three kids that keep me from using the tools!

I plan to apply for my FFL this winter once I have the shop all setup...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Eh,  probably just wishfull thinking.  But I will check into it.  I may not be able to do it now but I am going to need somthing to do when I retire in about 30 years
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are still looking for a FFL dealer near you check the Shotgun News web site.
They have  FFL dealers listed by state.
Most will do transfors for around $25.00.

Court 223    

AKA, Court in FL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Besides the cost of being a legit buisiness, I would want to run this business from a location other than my residence, since the BATFE can search the FFL address on a whim.  I don't have drugs or anything illegal at the house, but I don't want storm trooper going through my stuff anyway.

There may be a list of local FFLs in your hometown board.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top