Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2001 7:31:53 PM EDT
Sent someone who posted a rifle for sale a Post Office MO and FFL.  Received an e-mail stating the rifle would be shipped on the 25th or at the latest the 29th 2-3 day service.  I was supposed to get the tracking number as soon as it shipped.  As of now I do not have a tracking number and no sign of the rifle. I have been sending e-mails every day since Thursday the 31st asking for the tracking numbers and have had no response.  What would be your next move? Should I let several more days go by in case his computer crashed or maybe there was a family emergency? Let me know.  Thanks Joe
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
you dont have the guys phone number?
generally its a good idea to verify the name and address of someone youre gonna pay, but since thats water under the bridge...give a couple more days then take action.  im not really sure (definitly no lawyer) but someone told me that if you used a Postal MO as payment it becomes mail fraud...hopefully

sorry to hear about that
gives people like us a bad name

hope this works out for ya
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck that!

Take the real address and the name you have and run it through something like Yahoo's people finder or white pages.

If the guy is for real then when you look up his name (last name) the city, state and address should match up.
Sometimes you can get the phone number out of it.
If not, call information and see if the guy is listed.

Contact the Post Office ASAP, don't wait.
Drop a registered and return reciept letter in the mail to this fuck too.

Lastly, you can post his name, email address, screen name, and real address on this list. Perhaps one of the AR15 list members live near him.

I live by the advice that Ronald Regan gave:
"Trust but verify"

Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought $1400 of wheels off EBay.  It took the guy a couple extra days to ship it, then an extra day to get the tracking numbers due to an error at the shipping place.

Sh*t happens.  Keep trying to contact this guy before you pull the trigger on him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Update.  I finally got an e-mail back.  Apparently the gun was shipped us mail and was returned postage due. He said the gun will be reshipped this week UPS or FEDEX.  Thanks for all the responses.  Joe
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
MAIL FRAUD with the USPS.

Bottom line is if the purchase or combined purchases does not meet or exceed $ 10,000.00
the postal inspectors are not going to do shi$t.
What you needed to do first is post a WTK ad on
the Bowers Board of Inquiry and find out if anyone has been jacked by this guy.
You guys that think postal fraud is a serious
crime need to pull your heads out of the sand! It's being done everyday in small incriments, $800.-/$1000.- and no one is doing squat about it. Bottom line is they dont have the manpower!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck tubby........

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Sh*t happens.  Keep trying to contact this guy before you pull the trigger on him.
View Quote

I agree.  It's very easy to ruin a reputation, very hard to get it back.  Crap does happen, computers break, people get sick, people go on sudden trips, etc.  

Always get a phone number from the person you're sending money to.  

I've been buying stuff off of the net for over 10 years.  I've lost a grand total of $20.00.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a couple glitches on $1,400 wheels I just bought off Ebay.  My travel, his travel, Memorial weekend....

Anyway, wheels just arrived - better than expected.  They look fantastic.

I believe you have to guard yourself, but I don't push the panic button until I have some kind of real information to go on.  Even a cancelled email account could be an error the seller had nothing to do with.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
You got the right coverage. MO, and an email addy, personal address. You can trace that stuff, maybe get a phone number.

Any time I ship/mail a package, I hump it up to the PO and make sure it's got sufficient postage.

Shipping a firearm to an FFL should further cover your end of the operation.

As regards "manpower" and getting something investigated . . . It gets looked into so long as you keep whining about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top