Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 11:58:11 AM EDT
HERE'S A LINK to the M1A Forum in The Armory where I originally posed the question;
"Is a SA M1A (Manufactured 2001) with a factory flash suppressor be legally allowed to have a pistol grip stock in NEW JERSEY?"

*********************************************************************************************
(POSTED IN RESPONSE ON 8/31/2004)

Thanks again FB

So...I call the Deputy Attorney General's office JUST TO BE SAFE. I wanted to confirm that my plan was legal. They refused to comment since "That's what attorny's are for" and "Liability issues"  

Okay....Thank-you very much he who draws his pay from the taxpayers.

So I call the NJ State Police, Firearms branch. The Sgt. explains that my plans are legal since the 1997 exception was made and it's NOT a Pre-ban.

The 1997 exception:

However, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, the M1A has been modified. The modified M1A, which became available in 1994, would not be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm in accordance with the statutory provision and the Attorney General’s guidelines cited above.

So, my 2001 M1A w/ Detachable mag + factory flash supressor + pistol grip = LEGAL

Thisis reenforced by:
...However, earlier versions of the M1A which contains at least two of the criteria identified in Paragraph B of the Attorney General’s Guidelines, supra, would still be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm and continue to be banned under our State law.

So, IF I had a PRE-BAN, I could NOT add the pistol grip.

So...does the above make sense to anyone else but me? Fact check time....

*********************************************************************************************

Anyone shed any light on this question?

Thanks in advance,

Hep

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
JEEBUS !

I'm getting info from every direction, all conflicting............some say YES you can, others say NO you can't.

Anyone know a good lawyer who can anser this?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Any legal gurus out there with an opinion?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
"That's what attorneys are for" ???  

Get those assholes back on the phone and demand an answer. If they refuse, TAKE NAMES, write a letter directly to the Attorney General and one to the office asking for their reply in writing. You are right, it's their JOB! If you get your letter it's a get out of jail free card AND collect 2 Million$$$ Do what you asked them about, if you are ever charged by the State show the letter to prove intent to comply and then SUE THE BASTARDS

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to our nightmare!  Ah NJ, can you smell it?  SUX  I hate this place!!  That ruling makes less sense then tits on a bull.

Edited for punctuation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be technically legal only if you ground off the threads on the end of the bbl or silver soldered a compensator on the bbl.  semi-auto M14 clone with detatchable mag can only have 1 evil feature or NJ AG guidlines considers the gun to be "substantially Identical" the the banned "M14 S Type"

See NJSP web page for details: www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It would be technically legal only if you ground off the threads on the end of the bbl or silver soldered a compensator on the bbl.  semi-auto M14 clone with detatchable mag can only have 1 evil feature or NJ AG guidlines considers the gun to be "substantially Identical" the the banned "M14 S Type"

See NJSP web page for details: www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html

Thanks BRN169.

I think #4 ruins the notion of soldering on the flash hider.

4. A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

I'd think they're saying flash suppressor, period.

I'm thinking of getting the CA legal muzzle break.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top